News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Plug and Play DCC decoders

Started by aussie30inch, January 29, 2008, 02:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie30inch

Hi everyone

I have a simple question I have 2 Bachmann Shays and 1 climax and I also have 3 plug and play Bachmann DCC decoders .

The problem I have is which way do you place the plugs in as they could go either way.Could anyone who has used these chips let me know the correct way to place them in the holder. ???

Kind reguards

Geoff

aussie30inch

peterherron

All I know is the orange wire should be pin # 1. If you don't have the pins numbered I also read that it is foolproof-if you plug it in back wards, nothing happens and it won't damage the decoder.  Turn it 180 degrees and it should be fine.

Peter

trmwf

I was thinking the same as Aussie as I have my first decoders ordered from Bachmann to install in my Climax and was hoping they come with good instructions.  Also still trying to figure out how (really just where) the plug goes from the tender of my 2-8-0 on to the engine.  I think there is a little plate under the cab that has to be removed to find the plug.  When I find it, I hope it is marked as there are virtually no instructions with the loco on what to do.  Quite scary for a newcomer with no experience with DCC.  Unless there are some good instructions coming with my DCC system, it is going to be a scary moment placing that first loco on the track and hitting the switch.  All I can visualize is a cloud of smoke and a mushroom cloud.

Mike

OldStone

Dear Geoff and Mike:

I recommend reading "DCC Made Easy" by Lionel Strang (an MR publication).  See pages 32 and 33.
Peter is right....the orange wire goes to No. 1 on the 8-pin socket (and the red goes to No. 8).  I haven't tried it, since my Climax was clearly marked, but if you get it in 180 degrees off, Strang says,"the locomotive will most likely still run, but the lights won't work".  In that case take the plug out, reverse it, put it back in and all should be well.

Cheers

aussie30inch

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the help with the decoders ;) A freind of mine here had the same problem and using the Dcc page on the bachmann site there is a pdf of in structions on th plug witch for the first timer like me is great!
He then noticed on the PC board in the Locomotive tender Numbers 1 and 8 inscribed. ( well done Bachmann ) so it was then simple. ;D
Again thanks all. Happy modelling

Geoff aussie30inch

peterherron

Glad everything worked for you.  Suggestion: If your system has the ability to read the decoder, do that and WRITE the numbers down somewhere before you try to change anything.  I was monkeying around with my PCM Goose and got it so scewed up it would only run at about 2 mph and I lost a bunch of the sound.  I finally found the factory reset ( CV 8, data # 8) and all was well.  Now I read them all and write them down in case I cannot find the reset code.