News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

passenger cars for K27

Started by Ricky, January 15, 2008, 12:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky

Hi guys. I need to know, are there are any AFFORDABLE passenger cars in 1:20.3 scale that would be the correct cars for the K27 locomotive? I've seen the ads for the coming Accucraft Jackson & Sharp Coach, (which looks beautiful), but, for now...more than I can afford.    :(   I have a few of the LGB yellow Denver & Rio Grande Western passenger cars, (which are too short in length, and too small of scale for the K27).  I'm sure that by the time I can come up with some money for even one of the Jackson & Sharp cars...they will be gone,...or, are they going to be a regular run item? Does anyone know?  I'm hoping to have some 1:20.3 passenger cars...coach, baggage, observation/"business"/lounge cars. I'm overwhelmed by the prospect of building them myself. ...way back in 1984, when I bought my first LGB D&RGW passenger cars, I cut up three of them to make two cars that were closer to the correct length. I am much more into passenger trains than freight trains. Any sugggestions or info on this?  Thanks!

Rick

JLyans

Ricky,
The only true 1:20.3 passenger cars that I know about are the Hartford Products kits, (combine and coach at $470. per kit), the Accucraft brass San Juan cars that are even more expensive,  and the new Accucraft (AMS) plastic coaches that are in the $160. - 180. range.

A couple of years back Don Winter had some budget type, open platform passenger cars. (A coach, combine, baggage and an RPO).  I bought one of the coach kits but I was not real happy with it. The roof ends were a cast urethane and the profile was more like a trolley car roof than a D&RGW roof. The trucks left a lot to be desired as well.  However they were pretty much the right size for the K-27 and the price was well under $100. as I recall.  Some of the D.W. kits occasionally show up on Ebay.

John

Kevin Strong

$160 - $180 for a passenger car in 1:20 is a bargain. It's not cheap, but it's a bargain. If AMS's other equipment is an indication, I would imagine the passenger cars would be around for a while. I'd also anticipate (sorry B'mann) other types of cars in the future. You can still get box cars, gons, etc., and they've been out for a few years now. I'd just plan on saving your pennies. The kits that are available (Hartford, Bronson-Tate's Carter Bros. kit) are more expensive and require time and effort to assemble. Scratchbuilding one is a pursuit best suited for the clinically insane. (I should know--I built one.) I'm anxious to take a ruler to one of AMS's cars to see if I can justify adding one to my roster. (Modeling a specific prototype, I can't just use "any" equipment.)

Of course, if B'mann were to produce something like EBT's ex-BRB&L cars, they'd be awesome!!!

Later,

K

FLYNAVY

Greetings fellow 'Train-a-holics'

First I would like to say hello to everyone.  I have enjoyed the past two(2) months reading the conversation at this site.  Secound I would like to Thank Mr. Bachmann for producing the 'Mudhen'. 

Now my question, do any of you Gentlemen out there have plans for D&RGW rolling stock? 

I seem to have misplaced my binder of plans that have been printed in various Model Railroading periodicles over the years.  Over the years I have collected plans and have built a few models from the plans.  I was hoping to find plans published a few years ago for the D&RGW 'Shorty' caboose.  I also am interested in some of the non-revenue rolling stock, such as Rotary plow OY, flanger OM, and Jordan Spreader OP. 

Mr. Bachmann, Thank You once again for releasing an affordable model of a K-27.  Fellow train-a-holics thank you for the livley reading.  Br. Bachmann, it sounds like you have won a loyal following and we look forward to more releases from you in the future.

Spencer

japasha

Kevin,

I built one of those Hartford models. They are challenging, even with many years of building similar construction Labelle and other wooden kits.

I'll wait for AMS (Accucraft) to bring theirs out.

For Fly Navy, the easiest way to get plans is to buy the Carstens book on Narroww Gauge Cars. It's advertised in their book section of RMC. It has the best selection of frieght and passenger cars. Otherwise, see if you can find a Sloan book "100+ years of D&RGW Freight cars". It has all critical dimensions and such.

glennk28

For a basic train--either a combine or an open-platrform coach--320 with the little bay window wouild be good.

A 2-car train--that same coach, plus the "short" RPO-Baggage, as #62--this gets the "Chili line" train--fill it out with freight cars. 

Charlie Mutschler

Don't overlook the various other mixed trains - a combine behind freight cars.  Silverton, Pagosa Springs, Lake City.  At the end of its operation, the Lake City mixed had cupola equipped combine 215.  But the K-27 with some freight cars, a combine and caboose would be the pre-tourist Silverton very nicely.  So maybe someday one of the makers of miniature 'real people' is going to produce an F scale Alva Lyons.   

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

grumpy

Bachman have some Jackson and Sharpe passenger cars available .I just bought 2 from Trainworld  for $45.00 & $50.00 .
Don

Kevin Strong

Grumpy, those are the "original" 1:22.5 passenger cars, which are too small for 1:20.3--the focus of this thread. There's nothing wrong with them when used behind LGB locos or the B'mann 4-6-0, but they'll be very noticealby dwarfed by the K-27.

Later,

K

Ricky

My LGB D&RGW passenger cars definitely look too small behind the K27.

Rick

"Trainman"

I picked up four of the new Jackson and Sharp coaches this last weekend at the train show here in San Diego. They are the perfect passenger car for the K-27. I did a test run yesterday after converting the K-27 over to AirWire and Pheonix. They look very good behind that engine and they track smooth and quiet. I would hold out for the AMS 1:20.3 coaches.

Ricky

Thanks to everyone for your responses on my question here, now, the next trick will be to magically invent some way to be able to afford some of the Jackson and Sharp cars, (Whew!...that's going to be a challenge!)...I wish I could quickly come up with a plan to sell ALL of my HO...which I have never used, and some of my N scale...almost all of this is Canadian Pacific or Canadian National, but not all.  I hope the Jackson & Sharp cars will be available for a long time to come yet...I'm going to need time to get the money together.

Rick