News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I'm New to Model Trains

Started by DMC, January 16, 2008, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMC

I just received my first train for X-Mas. It's a Pennsylvanian (set) #90026. I have been reading Model R-R and Garden R-R to get some idea of what is going on. I still have ?'s and no answers. First Is Garden R-R and Large Scale the same? 2nd What guage is the track? Is it in inches or is it metric? Narrow or std. guage? 3rd What is the Radius for this train set? Any and all help will be appreciated .DMC

zubi

DMC, Congratulations and wellcome to the exciting world of large scale trains! My first large scale set was also Pennsy Bachmann but this was about 15years ago so it was not the same one I guess. As for your questions, yes, garden RR and Large Scale RR are essentially the same concept as most if not all large scale trains can be used outdoors, and most trains used outdoors are large scale. The actual numerical scale used varies from about 1:13 to 1:32 although even this this is not a fixed range. The set you have is in 1:22.5 scale, which is still the most popular scale used internationally. A lot of recently released Bachmann products is in a slightly larger 1:20.3 scale though. The track is 45mm gauge and represents narrow gauge. The radius of the track supplied with your set is 1200mm but if you buy rails from other makers than Bachmann you can buy other, larger radius curves - our train will run better on them if you have space for that. One word of caution, the rails you have in the set are not meant for the garden!! They will rust. If you want to set up a permanent garden railroad, you need to get rails from another maker, brass, aluminium, nickel silver or stainless steel. There is a lot of choice. Good luck and best wishes from Tokyo ,Zubi

altterrain

Welcome D,

Zubi answered most of your questions. Large scale is bit different from the smaller scales. The same 45mm track (about 1.75 inches) is used to represent multiple track gauges and hence different scale are run on it.

7/8n2 (1:13.7) - 2 foot narrow
1:20.3 - 3 foot narrow
1:22.5 - 1 meter narrow (the original large scale in modern days)
1:24 - 42 inch narrow (but most models are 3 foot ng)
1:29 - 4' 8 1/2" standard (incorrect standard gauge but the most popular)
1:32 - 4' 8 1/2" standard

Your ten wheeler is based on a real ET&WNC 3 foot narrow gauge loco that is still running.

Like Zubi said, Bachmann is four foot diameter (2 foot radius but large scale is usually listed in diameter). Its meant for indoor use only and is the smallest diameter track. Lots of choices for track and power options (lots of homework to do).
Some helpful sites -
http://www.btcomm.com/trains/
http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx?c=ss&id=16

Also online forums like mylargescale, largescaleonline (a pay site), and largescalecentral can be a lot of help.

Click on my logo below to see what I have done with my railroad in the past two years.

-Brian

President of

Danny Sheehan in Oz

Actually 1:24 scale really represents a gauge of 3 foot 6 inch as used in South Africa and parts of Australia.  Many New Zealand modellers use this scale for their local modelling.

Wade Colyer

Hi:

Danny is right, 1/24 scale works out to 42" gauge. I live in south-central Pennsylvania between the EAST Broad Top RR and the Tuscarora Valley and the Newport & Sherman's Valley Railroads which are/were 36" gauge. In Mifflin county where I live, there were several logging railroads that were 42" gauge, a common quarry gauge. They must have started with used 42" equipment. My Juniata Valley Railway is 1/24 so 1/22.5 equipment looks fine. Also, at 1/24 scale, buildings are about 10% smaller the 1/22 and 20% smaller than 1/20.3. This helps with an indoor layout like mine.

Enjoy your new hobby!

Wade

DMC

Thanks to all for the info! I will do more reading before building. I live in northern MN. 7 mths of winter and snow and 5mths of tough slidding. Thanks again.DMC

az2rail

Just make sure your engines have snow plows. Former north Minnesotan. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

whearin

I just bought the same set that DMC has and in a rush went to the garden with the track and discovered that track will not work outside.  Now my budget is going to really suffer when I start buying special track for outside.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to buy track that is affordable?