News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC and James issue

Started by trains01, January 16, 2008, 11:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains01

I have Thomas stuff running on a separate loop from DCC.  The DCC loop powered by the Backmann transformer also has switches powered by a non-DCC transformer.  I bought James from the Thomas seried, based on the hobby store guy telling me that it would run on DCC, under number 10.  When I ran on DCC James gave off a sort of hissing sound.  When I put it onto the Thomas track there was no sound.  I flip-flopped the DCC engine a couple of times trying to see if having it on the track at the same time made a difference but it did not.  As I was putting James away I got a whiff of what smelled like a burning odor.  Does anyone know if there is something you need to do special when using the Thomas engines on DCC?  Or maybe doing that is a bad idea altogether?  I am hoping no damage was done.

taz-of-boyds

DCC can run a DC loco after a fashion.  But apparently it can damage the motor if the loco is left on the track without moving.  That is because the way the DCC controller creates a kind of DC voltage for the DC loco leaves the full DCC AC voltage on the track.  It seems without the motor turning a significant amount of AC current can be flowing through the motor, overheat it and burn it out.

This I have collected from others but it also makes sense technically in an electronics way.

Charles