How to remove tender shell on Overland UP 4-8-4

Started by ftauss, January 16, 2008, 03:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftauss

Well I replaced the wheels on the tender with a set of brass wheels/axles I had sitting in the parts box and performance has certainly improved.

Now I'd like to open the tender so I can add a bit of weight, but how? It's gotta be easy it's already drilled on the bottom for a speaker so Im guessing it's something simle.

I removed one screw in the front that's hidden under the truck but all that did is let something loose that is now rolling around inside.

Help!
Frank

SteamGene

IF the UP 4-8-4's tender is made like the C&O 2-8-4's tender, there are four small screws, one at each corner.  Unscrew them and the shell lifts from the tender bottom. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ftauss

Don't see any!

Hey Bach-person, any thoguhts here?

Frank

r0bert

if it's like the older ones, the shell does not come off, it's molded as a tube, the front wall doescome out though. it is held in by a piece of wire near the bottom of the front.
lift an remove the wire and the front of the tender should come out.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
I don't have one, but the front of the Niagre tender pulls out after one screw is removed.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ftauss

Robert and Bacn-mann, that makes sense. I kind of thought it looked as if it were molded in one piece. There is a small tab sticking through a slot in the front. I pushed it in but was trying to pull the bottom off, no joy. Will try pulling the front tonite.

THANKS!
Frank

James Hail

Second that.....body is a tube ,front comes off (may have a spot of glue that never holds much due to paint).

It is possible to drill out tender light and make it operational...cut top off a led to make a lens......Looks great.....
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]