News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation Plug Issue

Started by ebtrr, January 16, 2008, 09:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtrr

One of my Bachmann 2-8-0's is giving me difficulty. 2 female-ended plug wires coming from the tender, and plug into the small circuit board in the "firebox" bottom. One is 2-pin, the other is 4-pin. The 2-pin male on the circuit board snapped off the board when I was removing the wire.

My question is, when I solder this back to the board, does it hurt for the solder to touch on the other side of the board (opposite side from where the male plugs are located)? I don't have a lot of experience with electronics to know. If I had to guess, I'd say it would short out. How do I keep the two solder puddles from touching? Petroleum jelly maybe? Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Tim

EBTRR

The pins go through the board, and are soldered on the back.

You need a very fine tipped soldering iron.  1/16" tip.

Hold the pins in place with light pressure and one at a time heat the
pad till the solder melts, remove the iron as soon as the solder melts.
repeat for the other side.   You should feel a slight movement of the pin
when the solder melts.  If you have some solder flux apply a small amount
to the pins before doing the above.

What I just described is called Reflow Soldering.

It is a delicate job and you may want to find someone who does circuit
board repair to do it for you.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

heisler

Hello ebtrr,

I have got the same problem with my Bachmann Consolidation.
When I contacted the service department at Bachmann they suggested that I sent the loco to them to have the repairs carried out. Because I live in the Netherlands shippingcharges would exegerate to much. Besides that there is a certain risks sending a fragile loco to the US and after repairs back to the Netherlands.
Therefore I asked Bachman to send me a pair of connectors so that I can try to fix it myself. Now I am awaiting the connectors.

With the suggestions Tim Anders gave it should be possible to solve this problem myself.

Greets,
Fredy Coenen, Roermond (NL)