News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum SD-45 (N-Scale)

Started by windycityblues2, May 18, 2008, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windycityblues2

I have just purchased a new Spectrum SD-45 and it slows down around a 9 3/4 radius track.  Is this normal for Bachmann as my Kato SD-40-2 handles the turns just fine.  Any information regarding this problem would be very
helpful.

Regards,
Phil

the Bach-man

Dear Phil,
I would suggest trying 11.25" radius, which is the tightest we make. If the loco still slows down, contact service.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

skipgear

9 3/4 is tight for most 6 axle loco's. I have one of the SD45's and it will bog on 9 3/4, even some on 11.

The best solution is to give the loco a good amount of break in. That will help the bogging. Let it run and loosen up a bit before passing judgement on it.

Another problem may be in the trucks, I ran into an issue with an Athearn SD70 where the pickups were restricting the lateral play on the center axle and would cause a bind in just about any corner. Break in helped along with a tweak of the pickups to allow a bit more side play in the center axle.

This is my SD45 as it sets right now, the body is lowered on the frame, brass handrails, a casting off the nose of an Atlas SD to get the ratchet brake, and a Kato SD90 plow and SD45 fuel tank (not shown in this picture).

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showphoto.php/photo/84389

Also not shown is the rear grilles are cut out to be replaced with mesh and ditchlights in process.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950