News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loose counterweights on K-27

Started by tommygunner, January 17, 2008, 06:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon D. Miller

Bill 375,
Thank you for your clear and concise posting on fixes for the loose counterweights.

I didn't realize this was a national security issue, or whatever. :o

I followed your procedure with the K-27 today. For my K-27 it took .008 to tighten the counterweights on the axle shaft.  In fact two could have probably used .009.  I used brass from a shim pack that is intended for adjusting Model A Ford connecting rods.  When split each shim is .004, so two did the trick to get to .008.

Also took a file to the axle ends, since as you pointed out they are a tad too long to allow the counterweight to seat.

The K-27 is now tight as a tick, thanks to you.  The locomotive was approaching 38 hours of run time and I had noticed that the counterweights were just about to the point to cause a lock-up.  Now all the crank pins are in quarter.

Again, thank you for sharing the information.  We're ready to rock and roll again.  What a sweet locomotive. 8)

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Bud Steinhoff

I also have put shims in the flats of the axle/wheels and it has corrected the sloppy problem.
My question is what is Bachman doing to make a permanate fix for this problem?
I do not hear any response from them .
Love the loco but it appears that some one did not check or control tolerances on these parts.
Bud

Steve Stockham

It will be interesting to see what Bachmann's "official fix" is for this problem (and the five or six others that have cropped up!) Well, Dave's got mine and I'm sure that it's going to be a sweet engine when it gets here! Considering that the K-27's innovations are as far above the 2-8-0 Connie as it was above the Big Hauler, "teething problems" are not only understandable but expected! The trick is not to "blame" someone who is trying to help but to take it all and use it in the spirit for which it was intended!
  If there is a criticism to be labeled it would have to be that certain people at Bachmann seem to want to hold all of these innovations "very close to their chest" without consulting with the people that would have found some (if not most) of these "problems" ahead of time! This goes back to marketing as well as research and development.
  Be that as it may, that part is over for this engine and the main focus now needs to be working together to "iron out the wrinkles." Please hurry up Bachmann and "officially" address them!

Phil Stump

You all seem to be getting all upset over something that is so easy to fix. I repaired mine today in less than 1 hr at no cost. I cut 1/8 x 1/8 shims from plastic and put them in very easily. the screws tighten up with no effort and the problem is solved. This is the engine we have been waiting on for so long. lets just enjoy it.

Phil Stump

You all seem to be getting all upset over something that is so easy to fix. I repaired mine today in less than 1 hr at no cost. I cut 1/8 x 1/8 shims from plastic and put them in very easily. the screws tighten up with no effort and the problem is solved. This is the engine we have been waiting on for so long. lets just enjoy it.

rslater

Bachmann should send shim kits to all who returned their warranty cards.  I will fix mine before they arrive, but it would be nice to have an extra set.

Bud Steinhoff

I have mine shimmed and filed the ends of the axles which is a good temporary fix.
But it seems that Bachman is just following the temporary fix as their permanent fix.
For a proper repair, replacement counterweights with the correct  toleranced hole to fit the axle would be more professional and permanent, especially on parts that are functional and drive the wheels.
I use to shim rod bearings on my cars but eventually found out that it was just  a quick fix that did not last.
Still think it is a great loco but had to voice my view.
Bud

jsmvmd

Dear Tony,

I get your drift, but hope your conclusions are not the case, since I would hope the posters here would be equitable and realize certain experts got that way from years of experience and doing the job.  In Dave's case, I presume he was told to keep mum, and being the good soldier he is, complied.

My hat's off to Bachmann, Mr. B and Dave for being the good friends they are.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Tony Walsham

Bud,
Personally I agree with you.
New counterweights would be the better long term solution. 
However they will take some time to produce.

For the short term the shim kits will solve this particular problem for Bachmann.

Next on the list should be a solution to the chuff timer that does not work with most popular aftermarket sound systems running on regular DC.  A solution that does not require the consumer to purchase electronic parts and mount them themselves.

I would then expect Bachmann to announce that the next production run will incorporate all the fixes found to be necessary to turn what is an excellent model into a superb one.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

glennk28

At what point should a problem become evident?  I have only been running my loco back and fortgh on the banch--about 12 feet.Is the looseness radial or lateral? Should something drastic happen suddenly, or is this a thing that develops over time?

soulmann

I wanted to chime in and thank everyone for their time and advice in trying to fix this problem.

I have not yet run my K(LOTS going on); I'm curious if my example has the same problem as well. I'm a beginner, and though I think I understand the instructions, I'm wondering if anyone can post any close ups of the procedure. I'd really like to get this right the first time.

Thanks,

Soulmann