News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Smokebox color

Started by Doug.Oaks, January 18, 2008, 10:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug.Oaks

Does anyone have a paint match for the graphite on the smokebox?
Thanks.

Kevin Strong

Use graphite. I use lock lubricant--the stuff that comes in those small tubes. Dab some on the end of a Q-tip and rub it in. Others have used pencils to color the smokebox, as the clay binder helps keep the graphite in place. Historically, the "graphite color" was graphite which was rubbed on the smokebox because paints were insufficient to withstand the heat. Once paints began to be able to withstand the heat, some railroads used black paint, others went with silver as an homage to the old practices.

Later,

K

Doug.Oaks

I guess my posting was too brief to be clear. What I'm really trying to do is to paint the nut\bolt\washers that I'm putting in the holes in the sides of the smokebox. I was trying to avoid mixing colors until I got a match with the existing color.
My guess is that the color Bachmann uses attempts to recreate the oil and graphite mixture that many railroads used to wipe down the smokeboxes. It looks good to me.

Matthew (OV)

I did the graphite thing on my Shays when I redid the smokestacks.  I cheated a bit and mixed the graphite powder with a dab of flat black paint to make it really sticky ... and then brushed more graphite over it while still wet/tacky.  Afterwards you can dry brush it till it shines...

I'm playing with some graphite powder + plastic compatible oil mixes too.

Matthew (OV)

tommygunner

If you are near a hobby shop you can look for Tamiya brand paints they have colors that often match manufacturer colors. It is a water based paint and used by auto and military modelers. I matched 2-8-0  smokebox color with them. You could pop off smoke stack and take it to store with you to match color. As the plows were installed seasonally it is very likely that the shop either didnt paint the bolts or if they did the paint wouldnt match the dirty smoke box anyway. I painted mine black and they look ok. Hope it helps.

glennk28

PCC Fan--I posted under "plow brackets" a brass part by Trackside Details.  It fits perfectly and is probably what belongs there.  I dipped mine in Blacken It and they came out the same color as the gray on the smokebox.    Part is TD-135.    gj

Larry S.

Krylon MS 769 Anodized Bronze is what the Bachmann used to paint the smoke and fire boxes of preproduction prototypes with. I don't know if it is still available. I have a can I bought years ago and it is an exact match.

Larry S.
Southern Ohio Narrow Gauge RR
Larry S.

Kclassbuilder

Hi All

I didn't like the smokebox color so I repainted it with Scale Coat oil and graphite, which ligthened it up and the details standout much better.  Also painted the firebox the same color.

Kclassbuilder