News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OFF THE WALL SUGGESTION

Started by ebtnut, January 18, 2008, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

I know I'll probably be slapped around, but Mr. Bachmann, how about considering an On30 Beyer-Garrett?  Granted, we never had any on this side of the pond, but there were lots of examples elsewhere in the world in most any size you like, from 2' gauge on up.  I'm sure that there would be a big market overseas, and maybe a surprise market here in the U.S.  For those unfamiliar, go here for photos of a South African 2-foot gauge Garrett model.  Scroll down past the roundhouse model:  http://www.cimarronworks.com/The_Cimarron_Works_Gallery_Page.htm

max (uk)

Backwoods Miniatures just made a NG16 RTR model. Its costs £1300 and about 50 models have been made. Not shure if there are any left. But you could always buy the brass kit that makes the RTR model for £360.

Check out http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com for more.

Jeff in NJ

Count me in. I'd buy a Beyer-Garrett loco in On30. They're such unusual looking steamers, I'd have to have one.

max (uk)

Well i wouldnt mind but i suppose it depends on your budget.

Most Bachmann loco's are between £100 and £200. A garret uses two chassis instaid of one. So it would cost at least twice as much.

Personally i would perfer a mallet. It would make more sence as they were used alot in the states.

The Old Fardt

While the B-G engine looks rather nifty, I would have no place for it on my logging layout.  Now I could use a 2-6-6-2 logging engine or something of that nature.
I know that it takes quite a bit a desire for any manufacture to try something new and hope to make a fair return on their investment.

At least there is hope for a new steam engine as dismals are not even in the picture !

Cheers,  TOF

aussie30inch

Hi Everyone

Good idea ebtnut, every narrow gauge Rail road / way has room for a garrett. They fit with just about any prototype. Example is here in Australia where Baldwin built 2-6-2t 30 inch gauge worked side buy side with a heavy 2-6-0 0-6-2 outside frame monster. One of which is restored to working order with its Baldwin friends at Puffing Billy in Melbourne. So count me in for one ! :D  :D

Geoff  aussie 30 inch

Ken

EBT

B-G were advertised for sale in Western Canada
    Baldwin had right s to build them for NA
    Later ALCO obtained the rights

Years ago at one of the NG convention's. Peter (Backwoods) had
a Hon3 B-G running on demo stand, had sold 6 kits  (all he had)
  and had orders for 8 more within the first hour. Seems a lot of
  interest for them. They do look neat with a freight drag in a NA
setting<G>.

Geoff

Waiting on delivery of a On2½ G-42 from DU at the moment. Will
be used for coal drags, when I get enough track laid <G>. Next I need to
  get busy working on a Kitson-Meyer 2-6-0+0-6-2.

Ken
    GWN