News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"CHALLENGER" Thread!

Started by rains train, January 18, 2008, 10:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyD

I have two Challengers, one is the old rivarossi D&H, a pretty close copy at arm's length, it must be 25-30 years old, I did a bit of customizing, it runs and looks great. I also have the Lionel challenger, +/-3? years ago? 'cause I like quantum sound and DC, It will pull every car you hook behind it, up a 2% grade too. It is one of my favorites going uphill from one level to the other, no helpers required, and sounds awesome, real articulate at work, echoes in the corners of the layout...alot of work and changes to make into a D&H, but nothing but good reports about both...I saw an Athearn, but it was in dcc, and the shop didn't have a track to test it on, but sitting there on DC the pumps and simmering seemed as good as my Lionel....none are a rip off that's for sure...
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

rains train

Challengers are were really good engines. (Note: I DID NOT say that they were the best)

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

grumpy

I have an aAthern Challenger with DCC and sound .  The whistle is fantastic as it comes from behind some buildings and the steam chuff as it picks up speed is also as  realistic as it can get with a model. You cannot buy a Challenger and add you own DCC and sound for the pric I paid.
Don

rains train

Same here, especially since the place I bought it from knocked 80 dollars off!  ;D (K-10's Model Trains)

Alex

WoundedBear

Quote from: rains train on January 27, 2008, 11:09:51 AM
Same here, especially since the place I bought it from knocked 80 dollars off!  ;D (K-10's Model Trains)

Alex

Don't get all excited by the fact he knocked 80 beans off it. I guarantee he still made that much in profit......lol.

Look at MicroMark.....they take a Bachmann loco that retails at 275 or more and sell em off at 99 bucks. And yes, they still make a profit even at that price.

Just goes to show you how much of a mark-up in price there is in the hobby world. (Trains aren't the only hobby where this happens).

Sid

RAM

The local hobby shop has a markup of 40% on most idems.  However some things are on 30%.  Out of that they pay shipping.   Then there is also the cost of running the store and paying the help.

rains train

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 27, 2008, 11:35:17 AM
Quote from: rains train on January 27, 2008, 11:09:51 AM

Alex

Don't get all excited by the fact he knocked 80 beans off it. I guarantee he still made that much in profit......lol.

Look at MicroMark.....they take a Bachmann loco that retails at 275 or more and sell em off at 99 bucks. And yes, they still make a profit even at that price.

Just goes to show you how much of a mark-up in price there is in the hobby world. (Trains aren't the only hobby where this happens).

Sid

I bet he did, but I also traded a 140 dollar switcher for it too. so, actually 220 dollars off a 300 dollar engine.

rains train

Anyways, I am sure he made his profit, but Ken is really awsome.

I'm going to get a video of my HO challenger up soon....I have one, just with the sound off.

Alex~The not-so new, newbie

r.cprmier

I personally do not care who has what on their layout, because it is not mine.  I might look at things like workmanship and plausibility if I am trying to assess somebody's talent level-which to me is akin to playing God.

If you like that articulated, then you should enjoy it.  If I were to assess the plausibility of the articulateds I have on my layout, I would wrinkle up my probiscus at their existence there; however, they do exist there, I like them, enjoy watching them run.

If I were to project a thought on what is virtually real here, I would have to go with the thought that not enough  medium to light engines are on the market scene;  However, a layout can often become an abstraction if a mental image that nonetheless will give its owner satisfaction, and joy; and isn't that what this is all about anyway?  Case in point would be Sellios's layout.  it is a bit too grimey and depression-ish" to suit me, but it makes George happy, so there you go.  It is, after all, his moolah.

In terms of proliferation, I do agree that there are way too many large engines produced; however-again-it is what the market demands dictate, and if I were a manufacturer, I would be keeping a keen eye afixed on just that.

It is, after all, an imperfect world.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

rains train

An inperfect world, right you are. I think that there are a good amount of large engines produced, and I love large engines. The 4-8-8-4, 4-6-6-4, 4-6-6-6, 2-6-6-2, 2-8-8-8-, and so on...In my opinion they are greeeat!  ;D

SteamGene

To my knowledge there never was a 4-6-6-6 erected.  AFAIK, the only steam locomotive with a three axle trailing truck actually built was the 2-6-6-6.  There were plans - or at least a conception drawing for a 4-8-6, but it never was built. 
In any event, articulateds were moutain engines.  While you sometimes saw them on flat land, they were either heading to or coming from a place with hills. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

Oh, sorry Gene..I meant 2-6-6-6, thanks for telling me  ;D

SteamGene

OTOH, I just discovered that there was a MODEL 4-6-6-6, the "Super Allegheny" which Armstrong had - I guess it was a kitbash or scratchbuilt.  See this month's Model Railroader.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

Oh? Cool!