News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wild Card... 1:20.3 Standard Gauge

Started by Ricky, January 18, 2008, 11:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky

Here is something that I have always wanted to attempt to build from scratch.....now THIS would be a major project!!!!

How about 1:20.3 STANDARD gauge? (I believe that is 2 1/2" gauge, Number 3 Gauge track)?

I was kind of thinking about Amtrak P42 locomotives and Superliner cars! Wheee!   (I actually did some scaled up side vew drawing of these ...and they came out being BIG!...BIG REALLY BIG!). How about LIVE Diesel? Yeah, I know, it has already been tried...Live diesel in Large Scale...1:22.5? 1:32? or...I forgot what it was, but it was a GP-9 locomotive, and was about $3,000.oo. Somewhere I still have the ad in a magazine for it.  This whole idea...1:20.3 Standard Gauge...would be quite an undertaking, for sure!   but it sure is an enticing concept!   :D

Rick

Kevin Strong

70mm, actually (Okay, 70.64mm to be perfectly accurate). Gauge 3 is 64mm (1:22.6). Check out Iron Creek Shop's web site for more F standard gauge stuff: http://www.crofutandironcreek.com/

Also check out this thread over on MyLargeScale: http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/3680/view/topic/Default.aspx

Later,

K

Steve Stockham

Take a close look at the third through sixth photos! That "dinky little ng engine" is none other than our "humongously large" (other people's description!) Bachmann K-27!! :o ;D Doug's creation isn't even one of the largest SG locomotives either! Consider what a UP "Big Boy" would look like! ;)

Ricky

Wow!!! That thing is BIG!!! Now, let's see...how about a Union Pacific Gas Turbine..with an actual jet engine in it? (They make actual jet engines for R/C models of jet aircraft now, they average about $5,000.oo each). Or, how about a Union Pacific DDA40X? (or is it DD40AX? anyway, you know which locomotive I mean), with two weedeater engines under the hood?  ;D 

Thanks for the link to the photos! And, Thanks, Kevin, for the link to Iron Creek.  I've talked to him before...but it has been some time ago.

Rick

Ken

Quote from: Steve Stockham on January 19, 2008, 10:47:29 AM
Take a close look at the third through sixth photos! That "dinky little ng engine" is none other than our "humongously large" (other people's description!) Bachmann K-27!! :o ;D Doug's creation isn't even one of the largest SG locomotives either! Consider what a UP "Big Boy" would look like! ;)

Steve
   Makes me wonder how the K-27 size compares to the Meter Gauge
2-8-8-4s built by Henschel in 1937 for Brazil, Figure they scale out at
47½inchs in F scale.

Ken
    GWN