News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Resin kits

Started by r.cprmier, January 19, 2008, 08:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

This month in "Model Railroader" magazine, there is an article on building resin kits, by Marty McGuirk.  As I read it, I thought of all the resin kits I have built, and how progressively easier each new one becomes, garnering the experience of past kits built; good or bad. 

If I can say one thing only about the kits in general, it is, as the article says, that they have improved over time, to the state of the art at which they now stand.  That said, these kits remind me of the "good old days" of craftsman kits, and the challenge to your talents they were.  I say that with none of my usual flair for sarcasm, but with a sort of reverence to something that made you feel really good about you-building one of these kits-pitting yourself up against the call to build this miniaturization of something large and very real-and succeeding greatly.  There is always something to be said about standing back and saying "I built that myself!"; whether it be trains, planes, or basket-weaving.

Resin is an extremely good medium for detail resolution, as it will work very well with the most detailed of moulds.  I have put off doing a lot of mould  work-probably being a bit gun-shy about the whole process; but I have done some casting work and mould-making. 

Just about all of the kits I have done are by Steve Funaro and Sharon Camerlengo  (F&C), and have been satisfied with their product.  I would like to know if anyone else-and I know Lanny has-has had any dealings with these kits and what their opinion is.  If you haven't, I encourage you to at least give it a look-see.To me, this is one way to bring back a true facet of model building.  Read the article-I am sure you will agree.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

The new kits are definitely generations better than the first resin kits. My only problem is that I still haven't mastered using CA glue. I remember the older plastic kits which were a lot easier to glue together but often suffered in detail.

My first building kit was the Revell enginehouse which has been released under several different names. The brick detail on this kit was outstanding.

I've done some resin car kits in On30 and have been pleased with the product and results. Once I master the technique of using CA glue without gluing my fingers together or gluing the part to the work surface, I will be a happy camper.

StanierJack

I have recently been using Resin Kits, in fact I ordered the resin kit for this a month ago.

I know it isn't american outline, but it arrived. Resin is a better material than White Metal, or plasticard. I think it's the way to go. Also, Thomas Fans may guess who it is.

brad

I've built the S&S theatre which was a lot of fun and came out quite nicely, the brick detail is very fine and more to scale. There was a lot of air bubbles that needed to be filled but some were left to represent crumbling brick. I've thought about buildijng a rail car or 2, but the thought of drilling all those holes in what some of the guys have described as glass has stopped me. Maybe some day........ ???

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

r.cprmier

Brad;
If you are referring to drilling the holes for the handholds, ladders, etc; it takes some doing, but if you take your time, use good sharp bits (I keep a supply of the most used EG...#74,75,76,77,78) on hand.  I also use the carbide ones as they drill nice clean holes; but they are indeed very fragile and will break if you look at them cross-eyed.  I have found that it takes me a bit longer to do a resin kit, but the time spent going slowly, will pay off in big dividends.

Woody;
As in a lot of things, I think most folks will develop their own approach to working with ACC.  I use one of Steve Funaro's green wires for a glue applicator, as I use phosphor bronze for my detail work (I get that from Tichy).  It is a throw away item, free, and plentiful, so I don't sweat it.   A lot of the kits are short run rather unique cars used by not too many roads (like the Pennsy H30 covered hopper).  it is really neat when someone says:  "Hey, I never saw that kit before...who makes it...Intermountain?"
Smiles...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!