News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout problem

Started by Law Dawg 86, June 11, 2011, 09:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Law Dawg 86

I have 2 E-Z track turnouts that are giving me a problem.One is a left turnout and the other a right. When the locomotives are operating to go straight as opposed to entering the turnout, they derail on the front trucks. This happens every time. I have Atlas & Athearn diesels. When the engines go the other way they go through the switch fine. Any suggestions? I have spent hours and can't seem to find the cause.At first I thought the air hoses were interfering,but this does not appear to be the case.Thanks. 

Len

Is the straight point rail tight against the stock rail when the switch is set for straight through operation, or is there a gap between the point rail and stock rail??

If there's even a small gap the front truck wheels may be 'picking' the point rail, allowing the wheel flange to go between the point rail and stock rail, resulting in a derailment.

Sometimes this can be fixed by using a pair of needle nose pliers to gentley adjust the point rail until it makes firm contact with the stock rail when the switch is thrown.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.