News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching shells

Started by Naxos, January 19, 2008, 06:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naxos

Hi guys. I am new to this hobby, very new. Just got my first train at age 34. Still figuring things out.

My first train is a NFL series from hawthorne village I got off eBay. I love my team (they should of been in the playoffs) but anyway, I have noticed that the engine seems underpowered.

The F7A engine keeps uncoupling from the B unit. Usually on a turn sometimes on a grade. I have changed out couplers on both engines but the problems remains. I am starting to think that the engine just can not pull the 4 cars that are behind it. This is pure speculations by my part. I have noticed that only the back truck is powered from my disassembly and reassembly of F7A engine and dummy. Which probably explains why it seems to break traction (peel out) alot.

OK, so what options would you guys recommend for me next. I have been leaning towards getting powered A and B engines and swapping out shells with my NFL trains. What engines would have chassis that match the Bachmann F7A Hawthorne Village engines.

Also any other recommendations to keep my engine coupled?

Thanks.

Bill Baker

Naxos,

I don't have the Bachmann F-7A, but judging by your problem description I am wondering if you don't have some wheels jammed or stuck that do not allow them to turn.  Place each car upside down and try and spin the axles with your finger.  They should move quite easily.  If not, check to see what may be binding them and if you have a plastic friendly oil, try placing a small amount at the end of each axle where they meet the inside of the trucks.  If your engine is "peeling" out, you seem to have enough power and would seem to me that the problem lies elsewhere.

As far as your couplers are concerned, make sure they are properly aligned and have freedom of movement.  Again, a small (very small) drop of oil may help them move more freely.  Another problem which may lead to uncoupling is that your track may change grade too abruptly.  Make sure your grade changes are gradual.

Best of luck, Bill
Bill

Naxos

Thanks for the help Bill.

It does seem that my table which is aged has some warps in it that cause my track to dip in couple spots which is contributing the issue.

I have changed out my orginal coupler which brand new easy mates but it only helped some. So it definetly looks like the track is my biggest cultrip.

As to the engine I once overed it and it is running great. No issues. Though I deinfetly noticed that the wieght of the dummy unit definty is the car that is slowing my train down.

I did also pick up a DCC F-T and it looks like a straight swap with the shell. Seems like a nice way to get my NFL team shell running on my soon to be DCC track.

Ed

taz

Wonder how the shell swap went... 

Anyone?

Stephen D. Richards

Naxos,  it is a direct swap.  And yes the DC version from Hawthorne Village is a bit under powered.  However, I did the same thing and the FT unit chassis is a perfect match.  Plus you get a really good pulling locomotive if you go to DCC.  You won't gain anything by swapping with a DC locomotive.  I also swapped with the B unit and purchased two more locomotives in my theme.  There are ten cars with each train and the ABBA consist pulls great!  Hope that helps any.   Stephen