News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 Headlight

Started by locoron, January 20, 2008, 06:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locoron

Got the thing apart and replaced LED with Miniatronics # 12-510-05 Yeloglo white LED. Much better than the anemic original.
All the innards come out the front so I carefully drilled a 1/8 dia hole in the rear cover.Then used a blunt tool to push, and ya really gotta PUSH, which popped out the lens, bulbholder and bulb. Installed new LED and then used a hole punch to create a small disc of thin styrene.  Glued that over the hole, painted it and it looks fine.
   Locoron

glennk28

Thanks for the info.  I have been trying to remove a rear cover--the drawings indicate it--butr it is well glued in. Will drill that hole tomorrow--my LED's are supposed to be here then--(right now they're sitting in UPS's San Pablo facility.)  Backup light on 453 comes apart easily.  Class lights go back in easier if you bevel the bottom of the bracket.  gj

"Trainman"

Thank you, locoron, for that information. I was able to dis-assemle the lights on my 2-8-0's but those on the K-27 were much more stubborn.

Regards,
"Trainman"

glennk28

I spent a lot longer than I anticipated changing the 5 led's--Clearances are very tight.  Most of the time was spent getting everything back together.  The looks are worth it.   I found a cover in my On3 spare parts box (actually, the end of a  K brake cylinder) that looks like it belongs there on the back of the headlight. 

While working on this, I thought I'd extend the headlight wires--found a spare telephone cord. Not worth the trouble--the "wires" inside are copper foil wrapped around string.
gj