News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

small Forney for ON30

Started by SRRL Maine, January 30, 2008, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRRL Maine

Hi All,
I am still on about Bachman producing a smaller Forney, love the two I have, but they where the biggest ones made.
I have heard on the Grapevine that Bob Hayden of Hon30 fame(and On30) is working with Bachman on such a project and also is working on a combine, caboose and other stuff for them, so more Maine narrow gauge coming? (sorry, if I spilled the beans!!!) :o :o :o :o ::)

wade

Please please please pleeeeeeeeeeeease say its true!!!!!!
Wade
Wade

scottychaos

Quote from: SRRL Maine on January 30, 2008, 12:38:30 PM
Hi All,
I am still on about Bachman producing a smaller Forney, love the two I have, but they where the biggest ones made.

actually they are "medium sized" Maine 2-foot forneys..
not the largest.

SR&RL 10, B&H 7 and B&H 8 were larger.

The Bachmann forneys represent roughly the middle of the pack.

Actually, if I was going to organize forneys by size, there were would roughly four classes..this is very unscientific though! ;)

small - the original B&B forneys, the hinkleys, SR&RL 1 and 2.

mediumsmall - the portlands.

mediumlarge. SR&RL 8 and 9, WW&F 7. (bachmann forney size)

large - SR&RL 10, B&H 7 and 8.

Scot

Hamish K

Personally I would welcome a small 0-4-4 Forney but I would be surprised to see one, at least in the near future. I have always thought that such a loco would be more versatile than the existing Bachmann Forney. Small Forneys were made in a variety of gauge, including 30 inch (and 3 foot). They were used in many situations, including by industry, e.g. Louisiana sugar plantations as well as by the Maine railroads. Such a loco would be a good choice. My doubt is - would Bachmann make a second Forney while many types remain unmade?

If Bachmann wanted another Maine loco I would expect an outside frame 2-6-2 before another Forney, simply for variety. An outside frame 2-6-2 similar to those in Maine could also double as a 'south  of the Border' 30 inch gauge loco. They were catalogue locos and fairly similar ones went to Mexico and other places.

Despite the above comments, a small 0-4-4 Forney would be nice!

In relation to rolling stock I would like to see Bachmann produce a model of (passenger carrying) SR&RL caboose #556-558 or the earlier #554. These were compact vehicles that, as well as providing a nice car for Maine modellers could double as a drovers caboose' for logging and other bachwoods operations. #554 was similar to, but shorter than, the later cars - in fact it was about the same length as the existing Bachmann freight cars. #554 operated earlier without a cupola but later had a cupola fitted. Both versions could be made, the one without a cupola would make a good looging car as well as being suitable for Maine depending on the period. For information on #554 see http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=47&page=2

Another item with a possible Maine application would be an open sided excursion car. Excursion cars were used by Maine and other operators before the preservation era, so they could be quite versatile. In fact #554 was rebuilt from an excursion car. However given the long delay on Bachmann's proposed  HO excursion cars I am not holding my breath for these.

Just my thoughts

Hamish

MilesB

Quote from: Hamish K on January 30, 2008, 08:26:54 PMIn relation to rolling stock I would like to see Bachmann produce a model of (passenger carrying) SR&RL caboose #556-558 or the earlier #554. These were compact vehicles that, as well as providing a nice car for Maine modellers could double as a drovers caboose' for logging and other bachwoods operations. #554 was similar to, but shorter than, the later cars - in fact it was about the same length as the existing Bachmann freight cars. #554 operated earlier without a cupola but later had a cupola fitted. Both versions could be made, the one without a cupola would make a good looging car as well as being suitable for Maine depending on the period. For information on #554 see http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=47&page=2

Another item with a possible Maine application would be an open sided excursion car. Excursion cars were used by Maine and other operators before the preservation era, so they could be quite versatile. In fact #554 was rebuilt from an excursion car. However given the long delay on Bachmann's proposed  HO excursion cars I am not holding my breath for these.
Hamish

Have you not seen these kits?
http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/products.htm

Miles

Ken

Another option, www.minaturesbyeric.com  produces a conversion kit to   
  convert the Bachmann 0-4-0 into a 0-4-4.

Ken
    GWN

Hamish K

Quote from: MilesB on January 31, 2008, 10:33:29 AM
Hamish

Have you not seen these kits?
http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/products.htm

Miles

Yes, I was aware of these kits, and the Miniatures by Eric loco conversion. However some people prefer ready to run. ( I do not intend to re-open the kit vs ready to run debate here -  I see it as a matter of choice). Bachmann has made ready to run models of items already available as kits in the past.

Hamish

jpipkin

I would love to have a small Forney like W.W.&F.'s 0-4-4 number 10.

Jim

SRRL Maine

Yes, #10 is a great little tea kettle. Anybody that has seen her running on the WWF museum or on the new DVD, knows what I mean.
The boiler is small and the cab overhangs something fierce over the track.
She has all the charm of a fat Lady sitting on a Barstool.
;)

Hamish K

I would love a WW&F #10. This loco was originally a 30 inch gauge Louisiana sugar plantation locomotive. It is small, but doesn;t appear to be much smaller than the smallest Maine two footer forneys - I have seen a mention that W&Q #1 was about the same size.

Hamish