News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring help with an Atlas layout

Started by styntwin409, January 21, 2008, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

styntwin409

I have the book The Atlas Beginner's Guide to HO Model Railroading, and I built layout #06 from it. I kind of changed the sidings in the middle around a bit, but I kept the terminal track where it should be. The link for it is http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10006.htm. I need help wiring it. I don't get how to. I am using DC and have all the required parts but when I wire a section of track it doesn't work. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

~Styntwin409
~Contact me on my new account, Chessie Sys. 3022~

My Chessie layout site

SteamGene

The first question is, how many blocks are you using and are they really isolated?  Are you sure that you have not shorted by wiring one section +/- and the next section -/+ within the same block? 
How many leads do you have? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

styntwin409

Uh... I put the insulated rail joiners in where they should be. Pics of the plan can be found here: http://www.freewebs.com/thewarriorcodegraphics

~Styntwin409

My Chessie layout site

SteamGene

Is your common rail really common or did you switch rails at some point?  You have dropped leads to all blocks, right?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

styntwin409

Uh... the common rail never switches. And... leads...? Is that the common rail wire? I only attached it to one. How can I get the common rail wire to every terminal?

~Styntwin409

My Chessie layout site

SteamGene

Ah.  It sounds like you are not getting power to all your blocks.  I must now yield to those who know more about wiring than I do. 
However, each block must have at least two leads to it, one to each rail, and the power delivered must be consistent. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

DaveS

I did a layout very much the same last year using DC.
The common rail only needs one lead but you can use more, I used one for each loop, the inner and outer connected to the - terminal of the power pack. There shouldn't be any insulated rail joiners on the common rail.
The positive went to the Atlas Controller and then there was one lead to each block for each switch on the Controller. It worked just fine.
I have since torn up the entire layout, changed to Kato track and gone all DCC.
If you want to know why just ask!