Where Can a Bum Find Bed and Board?

Started by WoundedBear, January 21, 2008, 08:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Almost every tune listed in this thread is in my personal collection, but like Woody, I'm still in the dark ages. No Ipods here. I do have a CD player (several actually) and about 500 CD's, but the bulk of my music collection is on aproximately 1800 vinyl records. Almost all are mint/nearly mint 33-1/3 LP's.

Nothing sounds as good as good vinyl record on a good system. It's a shame our grandchildren will not even know what High Fidelity is. All this electronicly compressed, digitalized, processed music played back through squalky 2" speakers or cheap ear buds sounds like crap.

But what do I know, I'm just a hick with a pickup and a ......

And, yes I love old train songs too.

Sheldon

BIG BEAR

Hey All,
       Sheldon's post reminded me, John Denver ( another one gone way too early in life ) made an all train songs album. My Wife first brought it to my attention, a year or so ago.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

WoundedBear

Amen Sheldon.

Although I have embraced the new digital technology, my old Sony PST22 turntable is still connected to my stereo and gets used often.

I find the biggest improvment digital brought about was in the field of car audio. I was one of the 8 Track generation, and thought cassetttes were the ultimate. HA! CD's and MP3s are perfect in a car.....no more eaten tapes or dirty heads.

Sid

Woody Elmore

I once heard Box Car Willie in a concert. My problem with him was that he was never a hobo. If I remember correctly, he was a B-29 pilot among other things.

I have no problem with his music.

Woody Elmore

This is for Sheldon and I forgot to add it to my last post. Last term a student teacher that I was supervising was doing a lesson with sixth graders about colloquial expressions, In a story the kids were reading, there was mention of "sounding like a broken record." The kids could not figure out what that expression meant.

I was completely mystified when one of my graduate students, doing a Powerpoint presentation about teaching exponents, downloaded his project from his Ipod!

A neighbor is restoring a Studebaker Lark (why? I have no idea!) I believe it may be a 1963. There is a huge hole in the dashboard where we figure an eight track player had been mounted.

What all this has to do with railroad music, I can't answer! Long live vinyl records!

ebtnut

FWIW, my modest railroad vinyl collection includes an LP issued by Carstens (RMC; Railfan) many years ago, and also one issued by American Heritage magazine in connection with a railroad book they published, again probably 30 years ago. 

Woody Elmore

How about the Lionel stations that played a little record?  I heard one once at a train show and the recording consisted of a conductor announcing stations and lots of train sounds..

CHUG

Wayne carson thompson wrote the letter about romantic teen age love and eshewing train travel for more expaditious means of travel. Hes a great writer and has alot of great stuff and its good to listen to when your running trains in your club or your layout and so forth.