News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Chama Coal Tower

Started by F.B., January 22, 2008, 08:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F.B.

I Just received my 1:20.3 Large Scale K-27 (#463) and would like to try my hand on scratch building the Cumbres and Toltec Chama Coal Tower. Does anyone know where on line I could get plans with dimensions? I drove over to Chama New Mexico today and took pictures but there is allot of snow.

This is my first time on line, I am a new member.
F.B.

Charlie Mutschler

The John Maxwell Collection is handled by his son, out of Fernley,Nevada.  I believe that you may order plans for the D&RGW coaling tipple from him.  Try going to

www.ColoNG.com

on your computer.  Or try writing to

The John Maxwell Collection
1055 Jessica Lane, Building N
Fernley, Nevada 89408

Another source was the two-part article in Model Railroader magazine about 1960 - 1962.  It told how to build an H-O scale model of the Chama coaling tipple, and the first article was paired with a short piece on Chama as the mid=point on the narrow gauge.  Which was correct at the time.  I believe the author was Len Madsen.  I don't have easy access to the magazines, so I can't give you a specific citation. 

Happy modeling.
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

F.B.

Thanks Charlie, I appreciate the info.
F.B.

glennk28

If you know an HO Scaler who has built the Campbell kit--see if he saved the plans and instructions.  Campbell's instrx point out the differences between the Chama tower and the ones at Durango and Gunnison.  San Juan Engineering (NOT San Juan Car Co) did the tower in On3--I don't know just where my plans are--

F.B.

Thanks: Ther is a guy in Antonito CO. that might have what I am looking for. I will see him tomorrow if it don't snow too hard.
F.B.