News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connie--k-27

Started by petertoot, January 22, 2008, 03:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

;D ;Dhi chaps,just a quick question,will the kay be able to pull more,as it has all the wheels on the track,than the connie????also is the speed of these 2 compatable to double head,with track power,i hope mine will be in this week,looks like a few things to keep an eye on,but its a great loco,thanks peter....

Steve Stockham

Over on MLS, we once figured the Connie (if it was an actual 1:1 prototype on 3' gauge) as being slightly over 22,000 lbs. tractive effort (making it's designation a C-22 by D&RGW standard practices.) The K-27 had 27,000 lbs. tractive effort so, in 1:1 theoretically, the K would pull more! Now, in 1:20.3...... ??? It should be fascinating to find out! ;)

Kevin Strong

I don't know what the figures are for the K-27, but when I was reviewing Accucraft's K-37, I happened to have a new 2-8-0 in the shop also. Both locos had virtually identical drawbar forces, right around 2 pounds. (The K had--maybe--an extra 2 ounces on the consolidation, not enough to be significant.) In fairness, the Accucraft K--despite its brass and steel construction--was rather light for its size. On the other hand, the Bachmann K is (mostly) plastic, so even with a lead weight, that may be a wash. I'd reasonably expect it to be a better puller, but I'm not going to put money on it.

Having said that, I'd still expect the model K-27 to handle more cars in a train than would its prototype.

Later,

K

petertoot

hi guys thanks for the info,my 27 will be in on friday,so i can get it home,lube etc,put it on rollers for an hour or two,alongside the connie,looking forward to see the beast in the flesh,i am selling a uintah lgb for the 27,the lgb wont pull what the connie will,so as much as i like it,sounds etc,if it wont pull up your grades that the connie will,so be itthanks,peter ;D ;D ;D