News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to a Proto 2k 0-8-0

Started by andras, January 21, 2008, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andras

Can anyone give a newbie some tips for adding a decoder to a P2k 0-8-0 please?

All the wires are carried to the tender via a plug-and-socket, but once in the tender there's an array of electronic parts (diodes mainly) which I presume are related to the lamps. All the wires are already coded correctly for DCC, interestingly enough.

Is it safe to just install a decoder in place of the current electronics, or do I need to fiddle about more?

TIA!

SteamGene

1.  Open tender
2.  Remove shorting plug
3.  Fit decoder.
4.  Test, then program without tender shell
5.  Fit tender shell.
6.  Have a drink of your beverage of choice and run the locomotive. 
(A bit more complicated with sound)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

Here is a little additional info.
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/dcc/dccdecoders.htm#spectrum

An installation in a Life Like tender. Not sure if is like your tender.
http://litchfieldstation.com/lobby/hoss_ll_2-8-8-2.htm

If it has the NMRA eight pin connector, you should be able to plug in directly.

Rich

DaveS

I recently put in a Soundtraxx DSD LL080LC decoder in an 0-6-0. It is supposed to work the same as with the 0-8-0 and is advertised as plug n play.  The tender is smaller so in fact it was more difficult to put in the speaker, but I did it and as this was only my 3rd install and the first that required a soldering iron, I was very proud of myself. Everything worked fine. As they say just go for it.
A word of caution though on this decoder, I can't get rid of motor hum and it turns out this decoder is an older design that doesn't have back EMF. The hum is just way it is. I was able to reduce it but I find it annoying.

andras

Thanks, folks. I suspected it would be an easy one, but didn't want to blow a decoder finding out I was wrong!

John

SteamGene

Hmm, the tender for the USRA 0-6-0 should be the same as for the USRA 0-8-0.  Both used the USRA small tender.  The 4-6-2 originally was going to have the small as well, but it received the medium, as did the 4-8-2, making the Bahmann heavy Mountain's tender incorrect for as delivered. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

Quote from: DaveS on January 21, 2008, 11:19:18 PM
I recently put in a Soundtraxx DSD LL080LC decoder in an 0-6-0. It is supposed to work the same as with the 0-8-0 and is advertised as plug n play.  The tender is smaller so in fact it was more difficult to put in the speaker, but I did it and as this was only my 3rd install and the first that required a soldering iron, I was very proud of myself. Everything worked fine. As they say just go for it.
A word of caution though on this decoder, I can't get rid of motor hum and it turns out this decoder is an older design that doesn't have back EMF. The hum is just way it is. I was able to reduce it but I find it annoying.

I have the DSD-090LC and DSD-100LC  with the same issue. I have replaced them with a MIcro-Tsunami. What a difference. I buy most of my DCC from Bruce at Litchfield Station. Tony's is good also.

Rich

DaveS

Gene,
I guess I should have been more explicit. The only difference was the height of the coal load. The 0-8-0 has a higher coal box(?) so there isn't much room for the speaker in the 0-6-0, at least in my version. I couldn't use the speaker baffles.