News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Attn. Lanny 2-8-0 to 2-8-2

Started by rogertra, January 22, 2008, 08:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Lanny.  Seems as though you and I have a fellow modeller in common.

On a private Yahoo group I mentioned that I was starting a Spectrum 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2 project based on one I'd seen on the Bach Man board.  Ray Breyer mentioned he had a friend who was doing the same kitbash so he sent me some photos, from his pal Lanny who was doing the kitbash.

Same photos you sent me.  :-)

Small world us butchers of expensive steam loco live in.

SteamGene

That would be a small Mike, too.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on January 22, 2008, 09:39:35 PM
That would be a small Mike, too.
Gene

Yes Gene.  Exactly what we need.  A "kitbash" that Bachmann could easily do with the existing 2-8-0.  Just cast a slightly longer boiler, with one more boiler course and add the trailing truck from the light 4-8-2.  Only a few other bit's and bobs would need recasting or making.  Boiler handrails, injector pipes and that's probably about it.  They could reuse everything else.

You get an excellent running 2-8-2 that's smaller than a USRA 2-8-2.  Is generic so that it will fit most model railroads but could be further modified, either by Bachmann or modellers to be more accurate for some prototypes all with a relitively small investment in new dies and molds.

Mr. Bach Man, you copy?

r.cprmier

What is always interesting is that some twenty years pre, Bachmann produced a "Mike" that also doubled as a Consolidation-you know; the one with the Wotten firebox...  If Johann's boys could do it then...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich, the other way around.  They took the Consolidation, which was a fairly accurate model of a late Erie (?) Consolidation and added a trailing truck to it.  That truck always looked awkward.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Rich.

What we  don't want is a return to the bad old days where they'd stick a leading truck on a 0-6-0 and call it a 2-6-0 or stick a trailing truck under a 2-8-0 and call it a 2-6-2 without making any changes to the boiler etc..

r.cprmier

Gene;
I was being my good old nasty sarcastic self...

Roger;
Didn't "they" do that a bunch of times?  I lost count of the times some bozo decided to make a profit on the cheap and insult the intelligence of guys like us...

Rich
Rich

Conrail Quality

Quote from: rogertra on January 23, 2008, 04:35:53 PM
stick a trailing truck under a 2-8-0 and call it a 2-6-2 without making any changes to the boiler etc..

I they did that, I'd be less concerned with the boiler than the fact that they think we can't tell the difference between three driving axles and four :D.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

ok Rogertra.  You say "Just cast a slightly longer boiler, with one more boiler course and add the trailing truck "  That makes the boiler long enought for a 2-8-2, but now you got to make the longer.  So you end up making whole locomotive new.  Yes that would work.

TonyD

Well, I got 4 of Mr Bachmann's mikados...factory jobs, late production, hot off the molds....Chinese SY's, originally an Alco design from circa 1905 or I waz told....a different tender shell, cab, and removing the airhorns....and you got a light mike without messing with the chassis, which I wouldn't do with a ten foot pole, too chancey, since they run so perfectly as is....one has a cab and tender shell from min. by Eric, and it is a darn close copy to CPR's 1st mikes, 'cept for the boxpoke wheels....one is put away for safe keeping, two are the cutest semi permenent doubleheader you'll find right out of the box....but look for sales, some people are selling these for crazy prices, +2bills?!?! they don't deserve the patronage, but these girls are worth atleast as much as any of the spectrum series.....just...kind of a shame to kitbash....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

rogertra

Quote from: Conrail Quality on January 23, 2008, 09:00:36 PM
Quote from: rogertra on January 23, 2008, 04:35:53 PM
stick a trailing truck under a 2-8-0 and call it a 2-6-2 without making any changes to the boiler etc..

I they did that, I'd be less concerned with the boiler than the fact that they think we can't tell the difference between three driving axles and four :D.

Whoops, typo.  Guilty as charged.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on January 24, 2008, 12:06:56 AM
ok Rogertra.  You say "Just cast a slightly longer boiler, with one more boiler course and add the trailing truck "  That makes the boiler long enought for a 2-8-2, but now you got to make the longer.  So you end up making whole locomotive new.  Yes that would work.

Make what longer RAM?  You forgot that part?  The chassis perhaps?

There's nothing to make longer.  The basic chassis remains the same you just add a trailing track, from the light 4-8-2,  under the firebox which has moved back with the slightly longer boiler so proportionaly, everything looks OK.

We need Lanny to repost his photos so that you can be reminded of what he's done.  I have copies of them but it's not my place to repost Lanny's photos on a public forum.  It's not ethical.

r.cprmier

The comments I had received from lucky purchasers was the the "convertable consol" could be better served in the duty of a doorstop.

A world of different verbiage can be bestowed upon the SY.  Upon receiving mine, I immediately set out to "Bill-Schopp-ize" one of them.   The other slumbers somnolently away on the shelf of locos awaiting further action.  I called the butcher job I did the "Green Card Mike"

The little Green Carded "Fu Man Chu-chu" is a little jewel to behold!  She runs like a Swiss watch, and is really a breeze to convert to DCC, as long as you have the means to ring out the wiring.

When I finished it, I looked at it and was reminded of a K-36 Mike; also that it is just the right size to be on a real HO layout doing real HO things.  I have never learned how to put pics on this site; otherwise, they would have been plastered all over the place.  Hmmmmm-probably a good thing...

Rich 
Rich

rogertra

Quote from: r.cprmier on January 24, 2008, 07:41:21 AM

I have never learned how to put pics on this site; otherwise, they would have been plastered all over the place.  Hmmmmm-probably a good thing...

Rich 

Rich.

Posting photos is dead easy.

1) Go to photobucket and open an account.

2)  You now should have an "Album" page.

3)  Upload photos from your computer to photobucket.  It's dead simple, just use their "Browse" button and navigate your way to wherever you stored the photos you want to upload on your computer.

4)  Once the photos are in Photobucket, they upload automatically, it's dead easy, just right click under the photo on the "IMG Code"  under the photo (It automatically copies the URL etc., and then just right click and paste into your message here on the board.  It's dead easy.

Jim2903

Quote from: SteamGene on January 23, 2008, 04:28:30 PM
Rich, the other way around.  They took the Consolidation, which was a fairly accurate model of a late Erie (?) Consolidation and added a trailing truck to it.  That truck always looked awkward.
Gene

Twas a Reading consol, the kind that was later "kitbashed" into a Northern ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.