What decoders have been (successfully) plugged into the K?

Started by Greg Elmassian, January 25, 2008, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Elmassian

I'm actually trying to find and document the experiences of people using the socket, and how easy/hard it is to interface to it.

I'm on the NMRA working group (or subgroup) that is looking at a standard socket.

Based on how difficult this seems to "get right" I'm taking a step back and working on how the various electrical interfaces should be defined. Organizing them into a socket is another quantum leap in my opinion.

On the Lenz issue: I recently looked at the DCC wiring diagram for a Connie, and it does give the connections between the screw terminals on the decoder to the wiring in the loco.

In the Bachmann's with screw terminals, it's often just a matter of unscrewing the proper wire and putting it into a decoder.

In the K, we are still learning what and how.

All input welcome.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Tony Walsham

As a supporter of the socket proposal I was delighted to read all about how the Bachmann K-27 socket was going to revolutionise PnP capability at this thread from the socket designer Mr Stanley Ames:  http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48304
I would urge anyone remotely interested in DCC to read through the thread.
Now it seems that unfortunately the dreams of DCC fans are not going to be so easily realised.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

grumpy

Mr. Bachman.
Somewhere in your organization you must have an answer to the Question.
It appears from all the discussion the K27 was released before it was ready and you are now using those who have purchased te loco as the guinea pigs to determine the shortcomiings of the loco.
Don :(

Al Wallace

At the risk of being simplistic  ::), I ordered and installed the QSI motor and sound board for the K.  Pulled out dummy plug, plugged in the QSI, and whadda ya know  ;D, everything works like its supposed to.  DCC of course, I don't know about any other.  Just thought I would throw this in here.  :D

Al Wallace

Greg Elmassian

Great Al, was hoping to hear from someone with direct experience.

Did you try to interface with the chuff circuitry, or are you using the QSI auto chuff?

Regards, Greg

Al Wallace

Hi Greg.  Right now I"m using the auto chuff.  Set up right, it is very realistic even at slow speeds.  I"m trying not to run it too much due to the counterweight  issue, but I'm sure I can fine tune it even more if I want to.  Do I dare say that it was PNP? ;D  One other thought, price wise, its a lot less for one QSI board, than say a 383 and a P5.  Not quite as much flexibility but it works for me.

Al Wallace

the Bach-man

Dear All,
As I've said, we will have individual installs for after market systems posted here as soon as possible. I hope they'll be ready sometime next week.
Stay tuned!
the Bach-man

leeasso

Quote from: Al Wallace on February 07, 2008, 11:00:10 PM
At the risk of being simplistic  ::), I ordered and installed the QSI motor and sound board for the K.  Pulled out dummy plug, plugged in the QSI, and whadda ya know  ;D, everything works like its supposed to.  DCC of course, I don't know about any other.  Just thought I would throw this in here.  :D

Al Wallace
Hi All! Have you heard of anyone installing an MRC decoder in a K-27. I had Phoenix Sound installed at St. Aubins' where I purchased the K-27, and I have MRC decoders ready to install but am very hisitant to begin the installation. Austin

Greg Elmassian

No news on the MRC.

So far there seem to only be two units that plug in:

RCS's system that Tony W. has detailed elsewhere.

And the QSI board, from Tony P. for DCC and AirWire.

Wonder if there is some connection? Anyone else named Tony out ther get anything else to plug and play?

In all deference to the Bach-Mann, it's been a while since the orginal post of December 27 about doing an official listing of decoders.

So, anyone else done it yet?

Regards, Greg

Tony Walsham

Greg.

Does the QSI read the + chuff signal of the K-27 without any additional parts or modifications to the loco?
Tony Walsham

John B

Quote from: Tony Walsham on February 28, 2008, 04:35:55 PM
Greg.

Does the QSI read the + chuff signal of the K-27 without any additional parts or modifications to the loco?

According to QSI, if the cuff needs adjustment it is done with their software.
http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/qaristo/q2_chuff_interv_calib.html

Stevelewis

I have   succesfully   fitted  a  MASSOTH E MOTION decoder  to  my  K-27

I found  the  installation  to  be  straightforward  and  trouble  free  it  worked  first  time  and the  loco  performs impeccably  ( I use  Massoth  digital control also)

As  a Temporary  measure  I also  fitted  an  LGB  US Steam  Sound  unit at  the  same  time,  I will  eventually  fit  a  dedicated  K-27  sound  decoder  when   I can  source  one   over  here  in  the  UK

Any  suggestions  please??

Thanks  Steve 
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Stevelewis

Another  bit  of  info  re:-  Decoders  for  what  its  worth:

I fitted  a  Massoth  E motion  to     Heisler  it  worked  fine,  when  I  removed  the  Massoth decoder  and  fitted  an  ESU  LOKsound  XL
The  sound  functions  worked  out  but the  motors  would  not  run,  they  only 'jerked' slightly,

The  fix  was  to  remove  the capacitors situated  within  both motor  bogies,  I simply  removed  the  whole  circuit  boards, and  connected the  cables  disconnected  from  these  PCBs,  the  loco  now  works  fine.

STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Curmudgeon

Quote from: Stevelewis on February 28, 2008, 05:26:41 PM
I have   succesfully   fitted  a  MASSOTH E MOTION decoder  to  my  K-27

I found  the  installation  to  be  straightforward  and  trouble  free  it  worked  first  time  and the  loco  performs impeccably  ( I use  Massoth  digital control also)

As  a Temporary  measure  I also  fitted  an  LGB  US Steam  Sound  unit at  the  same  time,  I will  eventually  fit  a  dedicated  K-27  sound  decoder  when   I can  source  one   over  here  in  the  UK

Any  suggestions  please??

Thanks  Steve 

Boy, that's a new one.
I was not aware Massoth had a plug-in unit for the K-27 Ames Super Socket.
I guess Greg will have to add that to the list.
What Massoth part number is a plug-in compatible for the K-27, so Greg can add part number to his list?
TOC

Tony Walsham

Quote from: John B on February 28, 2008, 04:52:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Walsham on February 28, 2008, 04:35:55 PM
Greg.

According to QSI, if the cuff needs adjustment it is done with their software.
http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/qaristo/q2_chuff_interv_calib.html

Hi John B
The page you listed only gives details of how you can calibrate the automatic chuff.  It does not tell you how to interface with the + chuff provided by the Bachmann electronics.
The correct page for installing a QSI into the K-27 is http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/qaristo/q2_aris_k27_install.html
Part of that page says:
"The Quantum Aristo decoder has precise automatic chuff synchronization that is easily configured to provide accurate chuff synchronization, even at low speed, with the K27. If you choose to use the Auto Chuff option simply plug in the decoder and start operating. This is highly recommended as it is very accurate and does not have all the installation and maintenance problems associated with the a mechanical/optical chuff. "
Now that looks to me like the QSI cannot read the + chuff signal without some extra components being added to the Bachmann socket pcb.
I guess that means to date, the only truly Plug'n'Play control system is the soon to be released RCS/EVO PnP-3.
Tony Walsham