News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-44 Model

Started by ElectricFan, January 27, 2008, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricFan

I visited the Bachmann booth at the Amherst Show, but I forgot to ask.

Are there any plans to develop a model of the E-44? 

It would seem like an easy conversion -- you could use the chassis from the E-33 and the pantographs from the new E-60.  There would have to be a new body, but the E-44 body was not too different from the E-33.

In terms of actual numbers produced, my Penn Central book indicates that there were about 65 E-44s produced. 

Insofar as railroad names, besides Pennsylvania and Penn Central, they were also found in Amtrak, Conrail, and New Jersey Transit liveries.

In addition, there was an E-50 model which was vitually identical to the E-44 which was used  on the Muskingum Electric -- I don't remember the number of units -- I think they were also remote controlled, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks,

Electric Fan

Conrail Quality

We've been asking Bachmann for an E44 model for...something like seven years now, I believe.  Actually, it's not as easy as you would think to make an E44. I'm going to blame GE for making the E44 noticably shorter than the E33; Bachmann would need to make a new frame for an E44. Basically, they would need to create a whole new model. Personally, I think it would be an excellent model for Bachmann to make, since no one else seems to be willing to mass-produce electrics in HO. After all, most deisels have already been made, there's not too many other models that Bachmann could make without directly competing with another maufacturer.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

r.cprmier

Conrail;
The only problem with producing electrics is that if one wants authenticity, one has to build a catenary system, resplendant with a ton of detail that I don't believe most modellers are willing to undertake; most manufacturers are keenly aware of what will sell, how big a market, etc, so I think that would be self-explanatory.

I had a conversation with one of the Intermountain reps at the show, and he said it best, I think:  ...that most people want R-T-R cars and engines. 
To me, it is a sad note to a hobby that was built up on craftsmanship and just plain learning how to be good  at something, but that is only my opinion.

Surely, there are manufacturers of catenary, risers, anchor bridges, etc-most of the trimmings that the New Haven and Pennsy had.  I say again though-how many guys are willing to spend that kind of time-much less the money- to bring thier layouts to anywhere near parity with that kind of prototype?

Were I to have the time, I may endeavour to do so, but I flatly do not-I am lucky to have the time to do what I do-and do it well enough to satisfy my Mediterranean-sized ego.  Were there to be available a model of NH prototype overhead system-and I mean right down to bolts in place-I would leap at that.  To date, Model Memories is the only house producing this stuff on that level of quality; and I do not believe they produce what I want.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ElectricFan

Hi Conrail/Rich:

Thanks for the comments.  I bought a used E33 at the show (I have two others) and measuring the distance between truck centers and body length, they seem mighty close to truck centers distance and body length I downloaded for the E44 from the PRR site.

I think it's close enough that I might try to do some body work and see how it looks.

Do either of you have measurements on what the E33 length and distance between truck centers is supposed to be?

Thanks,

ElectricFan

e44e33

The E44 is, I believe, the same length and wheelbase as the E33.  The U25C is shorter than the two of them.   One of the projects that I periodically spend time on is mating brass E44s with Bachmann E33s:

http://members.aol.com/e44e33/project/e44.htm

Rich Clark

r.cprmier

The trucks are the same, the wheelbase is close enough for government work; so why not just concentrate on putting together enough parts and material for the body?  Everything from louvres to Faiveley pans are available, if you want to look hard enough.

I have another question somewhat relative:  On the Manufacturers' Railroad.  There was such a line operating in the New Haven Bell Dock area a  long time ago.  Were there more than one manufacturers' Railroads, and were they part of a large conglomeration, or just smaller lines that coincidentally all had the same name?
Rich

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!