News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann code

Started by mikec069, January 21, 2008, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

Atlas has various codes for their track (100, 83, ??).  What is Bachmann E-Z Track coded to.  Or does it matter.

Thank you

SteamGene

All track has codes.  Yes it does matter.  To join code 83 to code 100 you need a 83/100 joiner or you need a piece of (almost impossible to find) transition track. 
EZ-Track is code 100 and mates readily to Atlas code 100 as long as you bring the Atlas up to the level of the EZ-Track.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

tommy4u2

This was taken off the atlas web site explaining code track

What's the difference between Atlas HO Code 83 and Code 100 track?

Literally, the code of a piece of track is the height of the rail in thousandths of an inch (meaning code 83 rail is .083" high; code 100 rail is .100" high). The significant difference lies in the physical appearance of the two types of track. Atlas Code 83 track has fine, brown ties whereas Code 100 has slightly thicker black ties. Because of its accuracy (and the color of the ties), Code 83 is more prototypical, and therefore more realistic than Code 100. Code 83 is known as a finer-scale track, and is the choice of discerning modelers.
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

SteamGene

I use code 100 on my mainline and code 83 on sidings and one bridge.  I do that for several reasons.  The C&O used unusually heavy rail and the code 100 comes closer to C&O practice than code 83.  Those brown ties bother me - all the ties I've ever seen were black/dark gray, not brown.  Code 100 is (was?) cheaper.  I still think I'm a discerning modeler.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

Code 100 rail was the defacto standard for HO track dating from the early days.  It represents very heavy rail (about 152 lbs./yard) in the prototype, a rail size used only by the Pennsylvania RR on its heaviest traffic main lines.  Code 70 rail came in sometime in the early 1960's, and represents rail of about 100 lbs./yd, a very common weight in the steam era, even for some main lines.  Code 83 rail came in I believe in the 1980's, and represents about 132 lb. rail, which is pretty common for today's heavy duty main lines.  Serious modelers use a variety of rail sizes depending on the character of the track--Code 83 for main lines; code 70 for secondary lines and passing sidings; code 70 or even code 55 for yards and spurs.  I belive you can get adapter rail joiners for Code 100/83 at a good train-oriented hobby shop.  If your handy with a soldering iron, you can take a code 100 rail joiner, squish half of it flat with a pair of pliers, slide the open end onto the code 100 rail and solder the code 83 to the top of the squished half.  You will probably have to file down the head of the code 83 rail some to match it to the top of the code 100 rail (this method works better mating code 70 to code 100). 

kevin2083

what would be the code for 70-ish pound rail?

would code 55 be close?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

ebtnut

Code 55 works out to about 75 lb. rail, close enough in my estimation.

JerryB

Rick Blanchard (UrbanEagle) maintains a website showing lots of prototype vs scale data. Here is a table of rail sizes in various scales, including the prototype:

http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRrailsizes.html

Look down the page to the third table for the most complete information. It shows prototype rail sizes from ASCE 25# up to the PRR's 155#.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

r.cprmier

EBT NUT;
I believe that, like you say, code 83 came along in the seventies; however it was to offer a compromise for the pizza-cutter flanges from Europe, as they wouldn't operate on code 70.  it worked.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Bill Baker

To add to Gene's comment back on January 21st, Shinohara makes a transition track, 6 inches long that transitions from code 83 to code 86.  Walthers distributes them.  You can also find them on the INternet Train site for just under $5.00.
Bill

SteamGene

They are now just over $5.00 and back ordered, just like Walthers who has no idea when they will be avaiable.  I do now a box sold on eBay for something over $15 a few weeks ago.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat