Quick fix for rapido couplers on Bmann cars & locos

Started by nscaler711, January 27, 2008, 08:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscaler711

ok so im sure you guy hate the rapidos that bmann used to supply, and possibly the dummy couplers that they now supply on their new cars,
( i know i do)

so my quick fix is simple, possibly inexpensive.
i first order a few 8 packs of Kato Unimate Short Shank Couplers ($4 for 8 )

then when i get them, about a week, i put the unimate couplers together (3 pieces) and file down the lips at the ends of the coupler, and i set them aside, i take off the coupler box of the truck/s, be careful those springs are jumpy, and they are hard to find if they fly out, and i remove the coupler from said coupler box, toss set aside or w/e with those, and replace the couplers with the Unimates ( the unimates are for pilot mount, but with a file that can be modified for Bmann Coupler boxes).
i am very careful to replace the boxes b/c the coupler shaft is a tad thinner when the lips are removed so they slide back and forth easily, and basically that is a quick fix for those couplers, the cars look a lil closer together now, and the Unimate couplers will still operate (almost perfectly)

i hope this helps! ;D also here is a basic diagram for the Unimates using the keys on my key board....

this is what the end of the Unimate couplers look like before:  -[
after you file them they should look like :   -|     
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

taz-of-boyds

Sounds interesting, I don't have any experience with Kato Unimate couplers have you posted pic's of the details on-line somewhere?

Thanks,
Charles

nscaler711

sadly my camera fell into the Missouri river as i slipped down the banks after takin pictures of a UP SD70M, SD45, GE 40C-8 consist

but when i can i will here
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic