News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Idle Locos on DCC

Started by mikec069, January 27, 2008, 09:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

Okay I've most of the track layed.  Except for the second autoreverse section and the risers/inclines.  Part of the layout will be for 'storing' locos and rolling stock.  Sort of a micro yard.  The question is, since I run DCC (diesel), would it harm the loco motor to have it sit on this non-isolated/insulated track section while the other locos are running?

B.T.W. I attempted to set up an Atlas turntable to Bachmann E-Z track.  It did not work in practice as it did in theory.   :( As is usally the case.  I'm sure there are those with the knowledge an ability to make it work but I had asked earlier and promised a response.  There it is.

Tim

Mike

It will not harm DCC equipped loco's to sit idle on powered track.

However you may find that your system will not start when you
turn the power on.  This is due to the power inrush of the decoders
especially sound decoders.

It is best to have most of the unused loco's on un-powered tracks, and
bring them on line as needed.  Also lighted cars can suck up a great deal
of power and should be on un-powerd track when not in use.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

mikec069

Tim, et al;

So you would suggest either plastic rail joins or some insulated track (B.P.N. Bachmann Product Number 44597?) or keep the loco(s) completly off all track?

Thanks to all.

Tim

Mike

As you stated in your original post, you have or will have storage tracks
on your layout.  On the tracks you plan to store loco's isolate only one rail.

Run the feeder for this rail through a single pole switch, when you need a
loco stored on that track, just turn on the power to that track move the loco, then turn it off again.  you can store up to three loco's per isolated section.

There is no need to remove loco's from the layout.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

mikec069

QuoteOn the tracks you plan to store loco's isolate only one rail.
QuoteRun the feeder for this rail through a single pole switch
That sounds like it takes some knowledge about how electricity works and skill to use the tools of that knowledge (soldering iron, solder, etc).  OR could I just hook the isolated section to a separate power source from the rest of the layout and power it up an down THAT way?  Honestly Tim, I very little clue as to what I'm doing.  In my head it's quite clear.  Getting from my head through to my fingers in a clear manner it something else entirely.   :-[

James Hail

Jump on in and Learn Mike............Soldering and DCC wiring are not that hard at all.....Give it a try , Get a iron and some rosin core solder and some old track and make some coffee and Learn a new skill.

To isolate a rail with insulating jointers is easy.....Laying the track then dremmeling a notch is harder but it lets you isolate right where you want...then fill the notch with plastic to fill the gap.

Your power to the main track is say Wire A and Wire B....If you isolate B from the parked locos....then run a jumper from B on your live side of the layout through a simple toggle switch (single pole) and over to the isolated parkinglot that you have.....then when you need power on this track just hit the switch.

Simple as a d cell and a light bulb.....from gradeschool.

Soldering is not magic or hard at all.

$20 bucks should get you what you need at RatShack..Soldering Iron Kit that will come with solder no doubt...(If they havent replaced ALL the good electronic stuff with Toys....the store is a joke now)

As for help..your already here........Ask away.
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

r.cprmier

If you go to a REAL electronic supply house, you will find quality stuff.  Try that as an option.  Also, why not pick up a book on both soldering etc, and basic electricity and read both.  Make a larger pot of coffee.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

JAS

I run two Train sets w/lights on my Bachmann DCC command unit without power problems. Both sets use lights for passenger trains.
On the far end of the layout, I have an added powered rerailer track.

On a separate track, I run 4 DCC locomotives using a Prodigy DCC controller, no passenger cars. No problems with power on startup, or any time.

Note: I use a needle nose pliers to pinch all rail connectors when I build a layout. This assures best current flow through the tracks.
-JAS 

chuff_n_puff

Hmmmmm, this is an interesting question! I have 3 sets of rails, 2 main lines and 1 yard rail. They are all approximately 150 feet long, plus a 6 shelf display cabinet that takes up entire wall and all are powered by a single unit with a 8 amp booster, that I only use when I fire up my MTH HO train, which likes 16 volts. Included are 16 lighted passenger cars and 12 lighted caboose. I found out that if I keep all units a minimum of 8 feet away from section where the track wires are attached, when I shut down, I have no start up problem. My display connection is between power supply and rails and I had to install a disconnect switch to correct the problem there. Once I am powered up, I can throw the switch and power the display to demonstrate those units. All units, 17 trains and all with their own cars, are DCC with sound. I soldered all my joints, however, and developed an expansion problem resulting in loosing connections. I corrected this by my own invention of an expandable soldered connection! I used extra small phosphor bronz wire, bent it in shape of a square horse shoe and placed at connections that came loose. This allows a small expansion crack with no power lose. But I have a camera train to help me find them, however. It is powered from the track and will let you know when you have a bad rail connection. I didn't learn all of this overnight, however, as it was a 6 year trial and error method. But anyhow, that is part of the fun of railroading. I don't have much fun anymore, as it all runs trouble free now! Happy motoring!

Santa Fe buff

As Tim said, the rush of power will mess around with the system, but the motor will remain untouched. Just make sure that you have a powerful outlet!  ;)
~Santa Fe buff~ Oh, and if you have a yard (with freight cars too) you can buy a switcher like a Tonner! But that is just what I like to do with a yard! Have fun! ;D
- Joshua Bauer