News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track size vs transformer

Started by DEC, January 29, 2008, 11:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEC

I'm a newbie so I'll try to make sense. My 8yr old got a bachman 36" set for Christmas(EZ-track). I would like to put both beginner track packs with it.This will have 4 swithes and maybe 30+ feet of track. Can I use the transformer that came with the 36" set or do I need something bigger? If so ,what would be a good choice?
Thanks

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: DEC on January 29, 2008, 11:58:10 AM
I'm a newbie so I'll try to make sense. My 8yr old got a bachman 36" set for Christmas(EZ-track). I would like to put both beginner track packs with it.This will have 4 swithes and maybe 30+ feet of track. Can I use the transformer that came with the 36" set or do I need something bigger? If so ,what would be a good choice?
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the transformers they put in the sets, but if you want to invest in another power pack (transformer), I recommend the MRC Railpower 1300. I'm very happy with mine, for operating one train on DC power. It also isn't very expensive. They should be able to help you with it at your local model train hobby shop.

WoundedBear

Add the track and switches....it'll be fine.

Sid

ebtnut

I agree with WoundedBear--for the small size you are contemplating, the pack from the set will do just fine. 

Virginian

It'll be fine.  It is the load on the track (i.e. Number of engines) that determines the load on the powerpack.  Theoretically, you could run the train that came with it around your house with that samepack.
"What could have happened... did."

r.cprmier

What Virginian says is correct, but with DC, especially the lower pressure of 12 VDC, it would be advisable to have more than one terminal strip in your trackage.  I am no expert on EZ track, but it does have a means of connection not too unrelated to whatever else is out there.  If youtake my advice, just take care for the polarity of each strip and hook them up correctly.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

DEC

Thanks for your quick responses!!
I'm planning on building my own layout but the EZ track seemed to be the best way to go for my son.
Dan