News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch length

Started by PHENICUS, January 28, 2008, 02:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHENICUS

I know the straight portion of a standard ez track switch is 9.

I am wondering what the length of the straight portion of a #5 switch is, and also a #6 switch (if it is different than #5 and / or standard switch).

TIA

Woody Elmore

EZ switches are nine inches long because they are designed to replace a piece of straight sectional track. Numbered switches are designed differently and their length depends on the frog angle: the spread between the diverging rails.

There is a posting about number five switches - you might find it informative.

PHENICUS

Thanks, I saw the #5 posting but it did't really answer my question.

I still wonder what the straight length for an EZ Track #6 switch is, and what the straight length for an EZ Track #5 switch is.

SteamGene

Since the number 5 and number 6 turnouts are sold with an additional short (3"?) section, I'd assume that they are 15" long, so that with the additional short section, they will be as long as two regular straight sections.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

PHENICUS

To answer my own question...

After a good deal of searching I found the following info. I want to give props to Tower Hobbies, the store that has this info posted. Tower Hobbies' tech department has done more work in posting details about EZ Track than Bachmann themselves. These guys obviously love Model Railroaders. It looks like you can use thier site to get exact lenths etc... for all EZ Track sections. FANTASTIC :D

#6 EZ Track Switch
INCLUDES: (1) 15-1/2" section of track with left turnout
          (1) 2-1/2" section of straight track
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA5&P=7

#5 EZ Track Switch
INCLUDES: (1) 12" section of track with left turnout
          (1) 2-1/2" section of straight track
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGA2&P=7