News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler conversion

Started by glennk28, January 28, 2008, 08:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

I don't often get on this list--so please pardon me if this question has already been asked.

Is there a "quick & easy" conversion of the On30 reefer from the HO coupler usually used to the Kadee 803 style coupler--I'm changing one to On3

Thanks--gj

Woody Elmore

To use the On3 coupler you have to do some surgery on the Bachmann cars. You have to mount the Kadee coupler in its own draftgear box to the underside of the Bachmann car. You then might have to raise the body since On3 couplers have a higher center line than the Bachmann equipment - which is made to HO standards.

It is an interesting and challenging project - good luck!

glennk28

Thanks--I had thought that there was sonething to remove and bolt in the 803.  perhaps I'll leave well enough alone and just decal it

A friend (who was responsible for the original cars) had made a couple of sets of decals for the NMRA "Heritage Series" "Hardscrabble & Great Divide" car honoring Cliff Grandt.  Since Cliff was a narrow gauyger, and I knew him, I felt it appropriate to do an On3 car.  I am also doing it on a San Juan reefer--  gj

Tomcat

Glenn,

since I have done this conversion a certain lot of times: No problem. It´s a straightforward job: Take off the HO Coupler installation, take off the complete Trucks by unscrewing them and the underframe of the care comes off easy. Now take a razor saw and cutt off the "boxes" underneath the framework - the On3 Couplers will come much higher.

If you file the area where previously the "box" for the Bachmann Coupler was, absolutely straight and flat, you will be able to take a small Hand drill and place the two or three holes (I would recommend to use the Kadee Coupler´s front holes) into the plastic Car frame. Just fasten the screws and you´re done. Its that easy !

Best, if you take another (San Juan) Car to check the correct height.

Kind regards, Tom

C.S.R.R. Manager

Wouldn't it be cool to have an "On3" sized coupler that would fit into the slot for an HO size coupler?  I'm thinking of a Kadee #803 knuckle, mounted on the arm of a #5, or even better, a #148, with the built-in centering wires.  But Bachmann could do this as well.

In the real world, narrow gauge couplers varied in size, so the HO size that most of us use isn't unreasonable.  But I'm thinking a larger coupler would tend to stay coupled better, and would fit better with the larger rolling stock.

glennk28

That would take a coupler with an off-set like the 831 (large scale coupler for  truck mounting)

I'm converting the car to On3--where I am deeply invested in the 803 couplers--gj

Woody Elmore

I have a friend who models the SPNG in On3 and he uses Kadee HO couplers because the real ones are about three quarters the size of the standard AAR coupler.

Tomcat

Glenn,

I´ve just sent you some pictures home showing how I have done the On3 Coupler (Kadee 803/807) Conversion on my Bachmann Rolling Stock, since I can´t add the pictures here in the Forum... (Or better - I don´t know how to do this...)

Kind regards, Tom

glennk28

Thanks to both--I got Tomcat's pix.  When the snow lets up I'll go out to the shop and try it.  gj

smub

According to an old posting on a different list, Bachmann's On30 steel hopper "comes with couplers at the HO height but they are easily convertible to 26” in about ten seconds. You simply loosen a screw and remove the coupler cover, remove the coupler, loosen the spacer and install the coupler in the higher position for perfectly working self-centering couplers at either position." I don't have this car, so I haven't tried it.

So here are my questions to Bachmann: (1) Is this information about the couplers on the steel hopper correct? (2) Will this kind of coupler arrangement be standard on future On30 models? (3) Will future releases of older models have these couplers? (4) Will models with these couplers be identified in some way so that consumers can know what they are buying?

Smub

glennk28

I have the hopper apart--the HO coupler will fit at a new height, but the On3 (#803) coupler will not fit the post.  Willhave to rile the platform level to mount the Kadee box.  Grandt #3078 trucks fit if I open the kingpin hole to 9/64" and turn the screw head down a bit to clear the bolster.

ebtnut

Some of the recent Bachmann On30 equipment comes with the two-level coupler box, such as the steel hopper.  However, as noted, the standard Kadee 803 will not fit into the box.  FWIW, the HO couplers supplied will mate with the 803's when set at the right height.  I agree, though, that if the 803's are your standard, you should install the Kadees with thier box as described by Tom.

glennk28

Thanks--Now if I could just find my 813 height gauge--yesterday spent a half hour looking for the box of trucks--bypassing the box that "couldn't be it"--gj