News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn out

Started by ken black, February 21, 2007, 01:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken black

Iam replacing an Atlas turnout with an above the table switch with a peco with a under the table switch  . the switch is built in to the bottom of the turn out it measures!inch deep 2 inches long by3/4 inch wide. what is the best way to go about install? Ken

Jim Banner

Figure out exactly where the new turnout will go, then cut a hole to fit the switch machine.  When you go to mount the switch machine under the turnout, slip a piece of .010 styrene in between the two.  You will have to make five holes in the styrene, four for the mounting tabs, one for the pin.  Then install your turnout on the railroad, holding it in place by your favourite method.  Finally, bend the styrene to conform to your under track road bed (cork, or whatever.)  A little heat often helps here.  I sometimes use a soldering iron, running it back and forther where I want the bend, but without ever touching the styrene.  With the styrene sheet covering up the hole, it will be easy to completely hide the  switch machine with ballast.  If you do not plan to ballast, paint the top side of the styrene to match your roadbed before installing it.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ken black

Thanks Jim  I followed your advise worked out great . Ken