OT: Can't upload file to forum

Started by The Old Man, January 30, 2008, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Man

I'm trying to upload a RTS file to a posting.  It is under the KB limit.  I keep getting a "Can't access location" message.  Any suggestions?

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

taz-of-boyds

I think this forum is set up so it does not accept file, picture posts.  You have to link to a picture on a different site, if that is what you want.
Charles

The Old Man

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 30, 2008, 11:04:46 PM
What is an RTS file?

RTS is a train layout file using Atlas' freeware program.

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on January 31, 2008, 12:16:33 AM
I think this forum is set up so it does not accept file, picture posts.  You have to link to a picture on a different site, if that is what you want.
Charles
When you compose an email there is a link named "additional options" (it's below this box even as I type), when you click it it allows up to 4 attachments of no more than 128KB per post.  It doesn't say that there are only certain types of attachments you can send--but perhaps you're right.

rogertra

Tried three times to "attach" a file.

Doesn't work.

Get an error message about not finding path to attachment.

richG

I found this in a slightly older posting. I searched the forums using upload photo.
Posting photos is dead easy.

1) Go to www.photobucket.com and open an account.

2)  You now should have an "Album" page.

3)  Upload photos from your computer to photobucket.  It's dead simple, just use their "Browse" button and navigate your way to wherever you stored the photos you want to upload on your computer.

4)  Once the photos are in Photobucket, they upload automatically, it's dead easy, just right click under the photo on the "IMG Code"  under the photo (It automatically copies the URL etc., and then just right click and paste into your message here on the board.  It's dead easy.

I am a 67 year old geezer and I can do it.

Rich :)

The Old Man

Quote from: richG on January 31, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
I found this in a slightly older posting. I searched the forums using upload photo.
Posting photos is dead easy.

1) Go to www.photobucket.com and open an account.

2)  You now should have an "Album" page.

3)  Upload photos from your computer to photobucket.  It's dead simple, just use their "Browse" button and navigate your way to wherever you stored the photos you want to upload on your computer.

4)  Once the photos are in Photobucket, they upload automatically, it's dead easy, just right click under the photo on the "IMG Code"  under the photo (It automatically copies the URL etc., and then just right click and paste into your message here on the board.  It's dead easy.

I am a 67 year old geezer and I can do it.

Rich :)
The problem, old geezer, it's a file, not a photo.

The Old Man  :(

richG

I upload the file using a Photobucket link. As an example, I uploaded some .avi files which allowed people clicking on the link to seee the file whcich is a short video.
I have uploaded .jpg photos which are files. Others have done the same.

I would try to download a rts file but I do not have any, plus I use a Linux operating system that may not handle rts files. Not sure.

Rich

The Old Man

As I suspected Photobucket will only upload video or image files.

WoundedBear

You're going to need your own webspace to host that. If you need, drop it to me in an email and I could post it on my site for a month or so. I'll email you back the URL and you can make your post.

The average RTS file isn't very large.......I should be able to hold it....just warning you  that eventually I will remove it, and the link here, won't be active any longer.

Sid

The Old Man

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 31, 2008, 04:28:39 PM
You're going to need your own webspace to host that. If you need, drop it to me in an email and I could post it on my site for a month or so. I'll email you back the URL and you can make your post.

The average RTS file isn't very large.......I should be able to hold it....just warning you  that eventually I will remove it, and the link here, won't be active any longer.

Sid
Wow, I will send it to you and when you send me the link I can post what I've really been wanting to post.

I sent it to your Hotmail account.

Thanks again.
David

WoundedBear

Check your email. Link is there.

Sid

Yampa Bob

The Atlas Right Track Software (RTS)  program saves with the extension .RAL
The file can only be opened and viewed in the program.

There are dozens of image file formats, most only recognized by their perspective program.  Standard image file formats recognized by Windows, Mac, and  browsers are .jpg , .bmp , .gif , and  .png   The JPEG format (.jpg) is probably the most popular since it can be "compressed" to a very small file size.  Digital cameras use the .jpg format.   

The .ral file can be converted into a raster bitmap ( .bmp ) file in RTS.   Open the .ral file in RTS, then click the zoom button to a high number such as 30, making the layout very small.

Click "File, save as", select .bmp in the drop down window, and save to a specific location, such as Desktop.

You now have a .bmp file, but it is very large and uncropped, usually from 2 to 3 megabytes.   If you have a paint program such as Paint Shop Pro, you can open the .bmp, crop off the excess work area, then save as .jpg with a compression factor of about 20 to 30.  The final .jpg will only be about 25 to 50 kb in size.

You can also reduce the image to a more manageable transfer size, such as 504 X 376 pixels (5 X 7.)  For those of us with only dialup, you should keep the size to a maximum of  800 X 600 pixels compressed when sending with email. 

The .bmp can also be opened in MSPaint, (XP or later) then saved as a .jpg.  To crop, you have to select desired area with the rectangle, then copy and paste as a new image.  However the file will be un-compressed and may be too large.

If this process is a bit intimidating, I will be glad to convert your .RAL file to .JPG in a size appropriate for posting here.   I have used Paint Shop Pro for over 10 years to edit my digital images,  and it is an easy process.

Hope this info is not off topic, but the RTS program is railroad related, and I have read other questions about the .RAL files.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WoundedBear

I never realized the RTS could do the image creation right inside itself....thanks.

Sid

Yampa Bob

Sid
Yes, unfortunately only as a bitmap (.bmp) which are large files. For those who don't have a high end paint program, the "print screen" you mentioned in the HO section is another good option to save directly as .jpg.  Although not compressed may be large.

I greatly enjoy the pictures in the forum, but many are so large that my slow dialup takes forever to load.  As a Webmaster, I have been managing images for decades, and try to keep any images I upload or send under 50 kb.  I have considered posting a topic on image management, but don't want to step on any toes or be off topic.

Many members are on broadband and don't realize (or have forgotten) how hard it is for us "slowpokes" to view the large images. I live on a ranch, retired, so neither my location or income is suitable for broadband.

I would politely suggest that those wanting to post images here keep the pixel size under 600 X 400 (approximate) and compressed to around 25 to 50 kb.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.