News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout

Started by SteamGene, January 31, 2008, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Ernie,
I'm not naturally neat.  I grew up as an army brat, spent four years in a military prep school,  and then 27 years in the army, all of which required neatness.  In fact I spent two of my military school years as a division inspector, responsible for the cleanliness and neatness for a section of cadet rooms, in addition to my own.  Now I can relax.  OTOH, a lot of the "junk" is scenery stuff - cardboard and foam to make terrain and such.  It will get neater as time goes on. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MC

Gene,
What a great layout. Must have taken quite a bit of time to design. Makes my 5x9 look like kids stuff.
You may want to check the date on your camera..or maybe these are future pictures.
MC

SteamGene

MC,
Building and layout were designed by Sheldon - layout was a dim sum with the building.  Anybody needing either, I'll recommend him as the first option.  I have modified the plan and I'm sure nobody is surprised at that!  But it's still 95% Sheldon, I think. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

MC

Gene,
Looks like Sheldon did a great job. How can I get him to help me with my layout?
MC

r.cprmier

Gene;
Looks pretty good.  I like what you are doing with the structure itself.  That is a good investment in time and material.  Keep up the good work.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

All of the lumber except for the 1x6 came from left over 2x4s from the construction.  I wore out a saw  blad ripping 2x4s into 2x2s and 1x2s! 
MC, just contact him via this board.  I thought his charge for the plans was very reasonable. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

MC,

If you are interested in having a layout designed simply e-mail me directly so we can discuss it.

Sheldon

Bill Baker

Gene,

I've been out of town several days and was delighted to see the pictures you posted.  You are going to have a wonderful layout.  You and Sheldon make a good team in planning and construction.  Do I assume you are going to have a large waterfall flowing under your viaduct?  It would be a nice place for one.  On my old layout I had real good luck using clear Dap for the rapids and waterfall....I read that somewhere either in MR or the numerous books I have on scenery.  If you're interested I'll search my library for some additional information.

Oh, by the way, a couple of weeks ago I posed the problem of whether to place an operating cross signal facing the wall to balance the one I have facing the front.  You suggested I get a simple cross signal.  Well, I followed your advice and found one at my LHS.  Thanks for the input.

Keep us posted on your progress.  Perhaps in a few weeks I might show some pictures of my layout.....I'm particularly proud of the bridge crossing the Arkansas River. 

One last thing....the cemetery is at the Little Big Horn!

Bill
Bill

SteamGene

The waterfall will  be under the girder bridge.  The viaduct is over the South River, which is fairly shallow though there maybe a small rapids as I want to have a trout fisherman for it. 
Yes, the markers are on Last Stand Hill above the Greasy Grass.  They mark where the bodies were found.  Right behind is a mass grave for most of the killed.   The two red stones mark where Lakoda or Cheyenne fell.  Not as many and much more recent. 
I have the Woodland Scenic river/waterfall kit,  but I haven't opened it yet.  I have a feeling that when I do, most of my questions will be answered.  One of our few remaining LHSs went out of  business and I got it at a severe discount. 
Glad you found a cross buck that will work.  I guess you could use the other operating one at a similar location.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat