Anyone here collect Bachmann Branchline?

Started by Myself, February 04, 2007, 06:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keddiewye

how does the branchline stuff run?

smooth as atlas?

how about hornby?

I've admired all the euro stuff fro years, but have never seen how smoothly they run

Mark Damien

G'Day keddiewye,

I find Bachmann Branchline locomotives runs very smoothly, have excellent detail, & with the exception of the eight wheel tenders, follow NRMA wheel standards pretty closely.

They are however geared just a little [& I mean Just a little] too high. US outline locos seem to gear their locos a little better. I have several British outline locos capable of scale 250 mph - beat that Mallard - oh wait a minute - I think that is my Mallard? [I think we found the answer to your speed record thread Stewart ;)  If they were geared a little lower, say, a scale 150mph their low speed running would be as good as US outline.

Hornby are in the same boat, except they pay little attention to NMRA wheel standards, but run OK, albeit with more chance of derailments.

I have over 170 British outline ranging back to my first loco; a Tri-ang 0-4-0T in yellow, my father bought me to the latest BoB's, Britannias & 9f's, & love them all.

There is something about a large Brit' in motion - it appears to move effortlessly & faster than the wheels seem to turn - Elegance in motion.

The tenders are large enough for DCC with SOUND [two speakers], so I hope they will get on the band wagon soon. I hope they adopt the BLi type wiring harness, that plugs directly into the back of the loco & in line with the tender with the excess wire disappearing into the tender & not dragged along the ground. Can only hope.

If the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Seasaltchap

With a little judicious work, it is possible to change the worm gear ratios. I get this with brass and white metal models I build and that need good slow running properties, generally 40:1 and 50:1.

Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

keddiewye

Quote from: Mark Damien on February 22, 2007, 06:41:00 AM

G'Day keddiewye,

I find Bachmann Branchline locomotives runs very smoothly, have excellent detail, & with the exception of the eight wheel tenders, follow NRMA wheel standards pretty closely.

They are however geared just a little [& I mean Just a little] too high. US outline locos seem to gear their locos a little better. I have several British outline locos capable of scale 250 mph - beat that Mallard - oh wait a minute - I think that is my Mallard? [I think we found the answer to your speed record thread Stewart ;)  If they were geared a little lower, say, a scale 150mph their low speed running would be as good as US outline.

Hornby are in the same boat, except they pay little attention to NMRA wheel standards, but run OK, albeit with more chance of derailments.

I have over 170 British outline ranging back to my first loco; a Tri-ang 0-4-0T in yellow, my father bought me to the latest BoB's, Britannias & 9f's, & love them all.

There is something about a large Brit' in motion - it appears to move effortlessly & faster than the wheels seem to turn - Elegance in motion.

The tenders are large enough for DCC with SOUND [two speakers], so I hope they will get on the band wagon soon. I hope they adopt the BLi type wiring harness, that plugs directly into the back of the loco & in line with the tender with the excess wire disappearing into the tender & not dragged along the ground. Can only hope.

If the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.

to the american train fan's eye, the British and other European equipment is magically exotic. I wish it was more available over here. It would be nice to go to shop and actually touch the stuff before I buy. I really dont like to buy train stuff online.

thanks for the excellent infomation;)