News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Genesis graveyard

Started by Jim2903, February 01, 2008, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim2903

Someone on eBay is selling 30 defective Athearn Genesis Mikes in lots of two. So if you hurry, you can be the proud owner of two Mikes with broken gears for a palty 35 bucks plus shipping ... just thought this was interesting ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Buy them all.  I'm sure that a reputable company like Athearn will honour thier   [Cough] warranty.

SteamGene

I couldn't find them.  I did find one with an initial bid of $9.99
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

How did somebody ever get 30 messed-up Mikes?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Pacific Northern

Strange, I checked e-bay a while ago and there they were, multiple listings of pairs and clearly marked in the ads as defective merchandise not able to run.
Pacific Northern

Conrail Quality

I heard somewhere that every few years, Athearn has a "yard sale" where they sell all their defective merchandise at bargain-basement prices. Maybe these are leftovers fom that?

-Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

kevin2083

I remember seeing pictures of one of those 'yard sales'- there was a those folding table with mikes from end to end. There were also pictures of pallets of HO locomotives, still wrapped in plastic.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

r.cprmier

Buy them all.  I'm sure that a reputable company like Athearn will honour thier   [Cough] warranty.

Roger;
That wouldn't be a hint of sarcasm, now would it?  You do know you are stealing my thunder, right?  I might be interested in some of those mikes if I had the time to get into them and rebuild the drives.  There is nothing that one man makes than another can't eventually do better.

Cheerio, Old Chap!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Super Chief

Just checked! I see no 30 2-8-2's !

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Super Chief on February 02, 2008, 01:12:12 PM
Just checked! I see no 30 2-8-2's !

Ads for the Mikes were only up on e-bay  for a short time. Either the ads were pulled or perhaps the vendor received an offer for all of the units.

They were clearly marked as not running, returned merchandise.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: r.cprmier on February 02, 2008, 09:39:17 AM
Buy them all.  I'm sure that a reputable company like Athearn will honour their   [Cough] warranty.

Roger;
That wouldn't be a hint of sarcasm, now would it?  You do know you are stealing my thunder, right?  I might be interested in some of those mikes if I had the time to get into them and rebuild the drives.  There is nothing that one man makes than another can't eventually do better.

Rich

My thoughts exactly Rich.  Other than the split gear, they're not that bad and it's fairly easy to fix the split gear, I used an automotive two part epoxy to put a fillet around all four of my Spectrum steam, 2 x 4-6-2s and 2 x 2-8-2s.  Two or more extra 2-8-2s would not have gone amiss, especially at those prices.  I could have used one for use in the Granville Junction "scap" line.

Too bad they went so fast.