News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another concern about the Spectrum 4-6-0!

Started by NevinW, January 24, 2008, 08:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I have installed the decoders in these Spectrum 4-6-0 engines and have started running them.  They are both are pretty tight and rough runners compared to the Spectrum 2-8-0.  They require considerably more voltage to get moving.  I have fiddled with the CV's and that has improved things somewhat.  My question is to those that have these engines:  How much will things improve with the break-in period?  Is there anything I can adjust or alter mechanically that will help smooth them out? 

My spectrum 2-8-0 has spoiled me, it such a good runner. 

-  Nevin

WoundedBear

Do I want to hear this? lol

I just placed an order for a 4-6-0 last week.

Sid

TonyD

Got a 'high and low'- models, seems they should have been called 'passenger or freight' anyway, I came to the conclusion these 10 wheelers are geared lower than most, which can be a good thing. If it was sitting around the shop for awhile, it might just need a good oiling and long break in. If the volts and amps are in tolerance, it should be OK, next week... if it involves dcc problems, someone else will have to help ya, sorry....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

grumpy

I have an 4-6-0 that I installed an LCS decoder in. I have not noticed any of the problems you have mentioned. It runs extremely well.
Don

Atlantic Central

Must be a decoder thing, mine (DC only) run great!

Sheldon

NevinW

Last night I found Model Railroaders review of the 63" driver version and they describe it as very stiff initially but that it smoothed out considerably after a break-in period.  Good news.  I think I will run it for an hour backward and forward and report back on how improvement I see.  I'll also lubricate the gearbox.  I don't think it is the decoder as it came  from another locomotive that ran well.  -  Nevin

WoundedBear

I have a Lenz decoder with BEMF waiting to go into mine. I had bought it with intention of installing it into a Shay, but the light pipe in the Shay tender is in the way. This 1835MP was the smallest Lenz I could find on their site.

BTW.....I popped a similar Lenz BEMF decoder into my Mantua 2-6-6-2T, and let me tell you......what a difference it made. On speed step 1, it starts and crawls steadily and smoothly, and will creep along as slowly as a Shay will. I'm hoping for the same sort of performance from the 4-6-0. (52" driver version is ordered)

Sid

NevinW

My locomotive rollers (another fine Bachmann product) arrived today allowing me to give my 4-6-0 a good breaking in.  My layout is a point to point with no way to give an engine the kind of long run at different speeds that breaking-in requires.  I am very pleased to note that running this engine at different speeds for about an hour has greatly smoothed out the engine, it is much much quieter and the performance is better.  -  Nevin

geoff

I have two of these 4-6-0's and they run great on DC. I have not converted them to DCC yet. If they run well on DC, that should indicate there is no mechanical or electrical problems. You may want to try a decoder with Back EMF which can help smooth out running characteristics at slow speeds.