News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New GS4 Daylight

Started by geoff, February 01, 2008, 05:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I just received my brand new DCC GS4 Daylight 4449 and I will not even take it out of the clear plastic package. It will be returned! The color absolutely sucks! The red which actually has a tint of orange in it on the prototype is closer to purple on this model. It looks terrible. I don't know how Bachmann could have gotten this so wrong? Are there any plans to correct this major screw up to what otherwise looks like a vastly improved model. I probably own 35 Spectrum steamers in HO and On30 and most are excellent. To mess up this bad on a locomotive that is this popular and noted for it's beautiful paint is hard to understand? If anyone has seen it you know what I am talking about. Help!

4449daylight

I feel your pain with this model. Mine now resides in my parts box. When I first got it, the colors didn't bother me that much. In fact, I thought it looked pretty good. But when I put it on the track, all that changed. It would hardly move, and make terrible noises. I took it apart and saw that the main drive gear was chipped. This model is a perfect example of a CHEAP CHEAP model in terms of quality. I still cannot understand why someone does not make an accurate GS-4 of good quality. I see KATO is going to make on in N scale. Like has been said many times. The 4449 is the most photographed steam locomotive in history, but there are no decent models made of it in plastic. To me Bachmann could have started from scratch with the GS-4 and make it in their Spectrum series. Now start with a model who origins are from the 1970s! Just pure junk, no other way to put it.

TonyD

Now that you mention it, a club at the big E- west Springfield show, had a gs-4 with sound, and...I thought something was? unusual?, I'm not an espee expert, but, yellow upper, orangeband, red lower- right? yeah, in the lighting conditions there, it was yellow, reddish orange and...something that looked more black than red, your purple? hey! I thought it was a streamlined technicolor war baby....freight version!!....I dunno nothin'....but i do know this stuff is painted in batches of a +/-1,000, so if yours is off, and the club's is off....then....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

japasha

The latest batch has coloring like the last Daylights run. It is not the original coloring by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know how the chinese mix paints but they could have done a lot better. I have brass factory painted GS-4s that are correct.  I also have opriginal slides and negatives of the locomotives. Mr. Bachmann, this batch really has screwed up colors. I have four different models here in my den to compare to besides my HO stuff.

4449daylight

Here is some good SP GS-4 news. Walthers is showing they will have the new Precision Craft Models SP GS-4 in April. The sound version sells for 449.99, and the non sound version sell for 379.99. Kind of pricy, but I will pay it to finally get an accurate GS-4 model.

geoff

Better news! Caboose Hobbies. PCM GS4 with sound and DCC $359.99, DCC Ready $303.99!!