News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bad EZ track swithces

Started by elwood, February 01, 2008, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elwood

First, thank you to the "Backmann", whoever you are, for getting back to me right away and for hosting this forum. I belive this is the place to talk about this kind of thing and/or if there is a better place, please let me know.

Sorry to have started everyone on a sore subject :).

I am new to the hobby and honestly do not want to spend my time tinkering and repairing something that I bought brand new.  I bill $105 per hour for my time plus expenses and travel time as a marine mechanic and sailboat rigger which is to say, I can fix it if I wanted to. I would rather spend my time with my son running the trains and making up games then getting frustrated because the train keeps falling off the track.

I am waiting for delivery of a new Proto2000 and Backmann 61701 loco and some new Bachman stock cars and if they do not work on the switches after I have made recommended modifications to the switches I will be sending them back for replacement as I have to assume they are "defective" and I really hope the replacements do not suffer the same derailment issues. I will pay more for ones that work!

Just to put things in perspective, I have to belive the EZ track product is designed to attract newbies to the hobbie. Only in that regard can I that it is a poor product. Without getting into detail, it is easy to see how to rebuild the switches to make them work better, but as a newbie, I would much rather spend a few extra dollars per unit to get ones that work as is.

Honestly, if there is an upgrade for these switches from Bachmann and/or another that will work instead with the track (without having to replace all the track) please let me know.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks, ed

jaellis

Hi all,

I have had my problems with the EZ Track turnouts and crossovers as well.  Basicly hte switch points are too wide and need to be filed down.  Something I'm not crasy abut having to either and I would like to see an improvement in this.  In Bachmann's defense though, being relaively new to the hobby myself I've been doing alot of reading and it seems that having to file down switch points and fine tune things is a fairly common problem, not just to EZ track.

Jim

Yampa Bob

I no longer use remote switches, as they don't have the spring force to keep the points tight against the stock rail.

I started out with EZ switches, had similar problems.  Most were corrected, but I am gradually replacing with another brand of manual Code 100 switches, and adding Caboose Industries manual throws.

For hard to reach switches, I add flex aircraft cables under the base.

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Teamanglerx

Here's my 2 cents....

I have used the ez track switches and have had a few problems.  Out if the 15 I have bought only one was bad and I made it worse by fiddling with it.  The others have had only minor problems which were fixed with a small amount of filing and car adjustement. 

Every other brand has issues with its switches too, not just Bachman.  In most cases the remedy is the same as with the ez track switches.  In model railroading, along with other hobbies, there are always things you have to "tweek" to get to run right.  You can't just take something out of the package and expect it to be perfect everytime.  As an example, fishing lures.  You can't just take a lure out of the package and catch a fish on every cast.  You have to work the lure and tune it.  The same goes for model railroad track.

emmetk1

I have been following this post and want to make a general comment.
there have been several comments that bachmann stuff is junk.
someone else says it isn't.
I agree with the junk comment. why is it that when you but a bachmann engine
(steam in this case) and run it for 6 mos and then the wheels fall off because the cheap plastic that was used for axles has split.they could use nylon or abs and
solve this problem but they don't, still using styrene. diesals have similar problem
the gears split. it is one reason i will no longer purchase bachmann.

Yampa Bob

Emmet:
If you don't like Bachmann, then why did you join this board?  With your attitude, your longevity as a member is questionable, and hopefully brief.

It's interesting to note that the only capital letter in your post is  "I".   Perhaps that is your problem. 

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 11, 2008, 08:18:04 PM
Emmet:
If you don't like Bachmann, then why did you join this board?  With your attitude, your longevity as a member is questionable, and hopefully brief.

It's interesting to note that the only capital letter in your post is  "I".   Perhaps that is your problem. 

Yampa Bob

Ditto

There are more than enough posters as it is who use this board for ranting
Pacific Northern