And a Bachmann Gp38-2

Bob DeWoody

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MC

WoundedBear

Very nce.....both have that "subtle" quality that I find pleasing about a well weathered model.

Sid

r.cprmier

HI Bob;
Geat work; very nicely done!  They look as if they naturally weathered, so you really accomplished what a lot of guys fall a bit short of.  I picked up a a DVD at the show in Springfield by Mike Rose, and he used oils as a weathering medium; his work and yours look somewhat alike.  Did you use oils?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

modlerbob

I haven't tried using oils yet but I have seen some great weathering jobs done that way.  By the way I replaced the pic of the GP38-2 that shows the weathering to better advantage.
Bob DeWoody

Paul M.

Nice job. on both of them! I like the boxcar the best.  ;)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Santa Fe buff

Here's something you can do with the weathered boxcar. You can clean half the boxcar and put some figures with paintbrushes on the side of the boxcar. It will look like they're restoring a old weathered boxcar.
P.S.
NICE WORK- did you use paint, dirt, or ground covering? Any tips you can spare?
~Santa Fe buff!~
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Very nice!
They look very natural.  If I could weather like that I might try it myself.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

modlerbob

I airbrushed the weathering on the loco using Floquil dust and Railroad tie brown.

On the boxcar I brushed on rust and a mud color then used a rag dipped in thinner.  When dry I sprayed a coat of dullcoat.

Bottom line is start pacticing on a cheap car or loco until you develope a technique that works for you.  I've used chalks and pastels in the past and when the desired result is achieved sealed it with dullcoat.
Bob DeWoody

Yampa Bob

I have several box cars that could use some weathering.  Anything would be a big improvement, even if I mess them up  LOL  A friend is sending me an extra weathering kit, so will get some practice. 
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.