News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas Layout

Started by Super Chief, February 02, 2008, 09:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Chief

What is the layout design for the Bachmann Thomas Sodor layout in the photo gallery?

Shawmut Line Operation

You'll need to ask Bach-Man.  I bet he still has the track plans. ;)
You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

the Bach-man

Dear Chief,
It's concentric ovals on the bottom and middle levels and a 15" radius oval on top.
Very simple, really.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Super Chief

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 02, 2008, 10:44:50 PM
Dear Chief,
It's concentric ovals on the bottom and middle levels and a 15" radius oval on top.
Very simple, really.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
You have no track plan?!?

the Bach-man

Dear Chief,
No- I made it up as I went along. You can see it in the photo gallery.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Super Chief

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 04, 2008, 11:31:19 PM
Dear Chief,
No- I made it up as I went along. You can see it in the photo gallery.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Is the layout a 4x8??

styntwin409

Mr. Bachmann, I have a few questions about the Sodor layout as well.

• I heard somewhere that the layout was able to fold up. Shown the way that you built it in the photo gallery, will it be able to fold up (this might be a second layout for me so I'd want to be able to move it so I could use the other one)
  • Is the layout light? (again, for the moving reasons)
  • Could you tell me the track packs that you bought for the layout?
  • Last, any tips on building the layout? I'm not the greatest modeler since I'm only a kid (teenager), so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

~Styntwin (formerly Justin)
~Contact me on my new account, Chessie Sys. 3022~

My Chessie layout site

the Bach-man

Dear Justin,
The layout is 4' x 8', and the sides of the shipping box fold up to protect it. I used regular packages of track, not a "Track Pack". It's built on foam, so it's very light. You can see it step by step in the gallery.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

styntwin409

So can I just buy all the pieces I need by getting "X" number of packages of track, or do I have to buy them all seperately? If I do, please can you tell me how many of each you used?

(Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, but I just want to get things right and I want to be 100% sure!)

Thanks!

~Styntwin409 (formerly Justin)

P.S. How long did it take you to build it?

My Chessie layout site

styntwin409

At least tell me what kind of turnouts you're using please, and if you use any partial curves after them, which ones are they! Thanks!

~Styntwin409

(P.S. I really am sorry that I am asking so many questions, but I really love your layout and want to make one just like it, but I can't figure out how the track is layed out. I don't want to claim anything about the layout I built that's just like yours-I credit you completely!  ;))

My Chessie layout site

the Bach-man

Dear Justin,
The turnouts are regular turnouts, and the only 22" radius is on the outer oval of the bottom level. The very top level is 15' radius, all curves.
Don't worry about credit- do what you like!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

styntwin409

Ok, two more questions (Don't worry, I'm almost out of them!): 1. What kind and how thick is that foam, and where could I get it? 2. If I'm going to be using Atlas track, which turnouts would the ones you use match up to?
Thanks in advance, and I'm still crediting you-without you, I probably wouldn't have been able to build a great Sodor layout!

My Chessie layout site

Shawmut Line Operation

Well I think some of the foam he used was plastic peanuts.  The other kind is from like big house hold appliances I think. :-\
You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

Guilford Guy

2" thick insulation foam. It is available from Lowes and Home Depot in 2x8 sheets.
You would probably have to use atlas snap switches. It would be much easier however to design your own railroad with Atlas software.
Alex

styntwin409

Hey GG-that's what I am doing!   :) Ok I found out the foam stuff, but I still can't completely find out the track plan for the outer layer. Mr. Bach-man, could you please tell me (if you know) how many pieces of each length/curve track you used for the outside line on the first level? I'm trying to design it on an Atlas railroad software, but that's the only part I can't figure out! (I know I said one more question, but I thought I knew the plan... sorry! Hope you can help!  :D)

Thanks in advance!

My Chessie layout site