News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming the 4-4-0 (DCC/sound)

Started by CNE Runner, July 18, 2008, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I have two of the Bachmann American 4-4-0s (one is DCC and the other is DCC+sound). My DCC system is the MRC Prodigy Advanced unit and I have had NO trouble programming other engines with it. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in programming either one of my 4-4-0s. I recently added a post on the Model Railroader forum asking for assistance. One participant said I needed a Tsunami Programming Track Booster. Is this true?

My next qestions concerns CV values. According to the MR reviews suggested CV values are: CV#2 = 15, CV#3 and 4 = 5. What value should I set CV#5 (top voltage)?

I absolutely love these engines and only wish I had waited before purchasing the first (non-sound) model. I would love to be able to program each engine with its own unique address.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle and my eyes on the rail"
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richG

You will probably need the booster. I have the 4-4-0 DCC and I was able to program it with my NCE Power Cab. I replaced the decoder with the Micro-Tsunami and no issues. I know some people have this issue with the standard Tsunami.
I have heard of others having the same issue and they bought a booster.

Rich

CNE Runner

Thanks for the advice Rich. Your suggestion, coupled with the suggestions from the MR Forum, has led me to order a Soundtraxx PTB100 programming booster. Apparently the MRC Prodigy Advanced system doesn't generate enough power to program some decoders. I sincerely appreciate your time and suggestion.

Ray
Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut Railroad
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eyes on the rail"
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"