Runaway Trains - DCC speed control issues

Started by Naxos, February 05, 2008, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naxos

I got the Digital Commander starter set with the FT-A and GP40 Sante Fe engines. I had speed conrol for mabey the first minute with each engine and now I got almost nothing. Forward and reverse work. I can turn the lights on and off but starting --- poor, poor, poor. Stoping --- that is not happening. I need to kill power with the red stop button. Their is no fine tuning. There is mabey some throttle response but it is on its own time scale.

Both engines work when the track is switched back to DC and my DC engine works, though slightly slower and on a slight delay, when run on the DCC.

I tried disconnecting the capacitors in the FT-A but even then the issues persist.

So what is going on? What options do I have to fix these issues?

Thanks.

rains train

I jugjest returing it and getting the Digitrax Zephyr, I have one, and it works really well! I love it.

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

rogertra

Trouble is, no matter what people or the manufacturers say, DCC is not plug and play.  From the troubles I read even experienced modellers having with DCC, you need to become a DCC expert in order to get it to run properly and just to even understand the directions.

Nope, it's not plug and play like DC is.

Naxos

Quote from: rains train on February 05, 2008, 06:53:11 PM
I jugjest returing it and getting the Digitrax Zephyr, I have one, and it works really well! I love it.

Alex

Mabey. Not sure of the logistics of a return. I got the set online. I am using most of the track and of course the rolling stock that came with it.

Naxos

Quote from: rogertra on February 05, 2008, 07:02:58 PM
Trouble is, no matter what people or the manufacturers say, DCC is not plug and play.  From the troubles I read even experienced modellers having with DCC, you need to become a DCC expert in order to get it to run properly and just to even understand the directions.

Nope, it's not plug and play like DC is.

It sure seems straight forward enough. I followed the directs and then when thing did not work as described, started looking for help online.

rains train

Well, just adding in my opinion, the Zephyr is really easy to use, took me no time at all to plug it and and start running, and I know NOTHING about stuff like this.....seeing as I'm only 13.

Alex

Naxos

That Digitrax is sounding alot better to me Rains.

I have definetly ruled out my trains as the issue. Somethings up with the DCC controller. I got my trains running almost perfect by giving the controller a shake. They do not stay runninng good for long though and the poort speed control issues creep back in requiring more and more shaking to get the trains to respond correctly.

Is the DCC controllers under warrenty like the trains are?

rains train

I'm pretty sure. I could get you a video or some pictures of the Zephyr if you like.

Alex

Jake

I'll testify for the Zephyr. I have one also and I too love it!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

rains train

So thats me and Jake, both saying it's good. I can still get thosectures, or a video. It really is a fantastic piece!

Alex

rains train

Here is one:

Just say the word and I'll get ya more.  :)

Alex

Naxos

Thanks Alex. I'll do a little research online and look into it. My Bachmann DCC controller should be under warrenty for 90 days from purchase. So I will give that a shot as well.

rains train

Alrighty, I can help you out with anything you wanna know about the Zephyr! Hope that I helped/can help!

Alex

Jim Banner

Naxos, E-Z Command does work.  Your particular unit sounds like it might be faulty, in which case a trip back to Bachmann would be in order.  Depending on who you bought it from on line, it may cost a few bucks to have it repaired.

As someone who owns both an E-Z Command and a Zephyr, perhaps I can offer you some insight into their relative strengths and weaknesses.  The Zephyr is more versatile, particularly in terms of what it can program.  On the other hand, it has a steeper, longer learning curve and costs more.  The E-Z Command is quick and easy to learn and is easier to switch between locomotives when operating multiple locomotives with the single built in throttle.  On the other hand, its lower current output limits it to about 3 trains compared to the Zephyr's limit of about 5.  If you want to run trains with a buddy, an extra throttle for the Zephyr is cheaper, and if you have a suitable dc power pack sitting around, the extra throttle is free.  Bottom line, if you just want to run a train or two or three by yourself, the E-Z Command is a great way to go.  If you want to run several trains along with several of your buddies, the Zephyr is a better way to go.  And if you want to tinker with your locomotives, squeezing out the best possible performance, the Zephyr is the only way to go.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rains train

I highly agree with Jim, I know of the "using an extra DC throttle",but I haven't tried it yet, and I only have 2 locos, but they are both easy to run with the Zephyr, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an 11. I haven't tried the EZ command, but I have heard teible ratings from some people who have used it. Try to return it and invest in a Zephyr, you WILL NOT regret it!

Alex