Runaway Trains - DCC speed control issues

Started by Naxos, February 05, 2008, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

My first EZ command went out shortly after I got it.  I sent it to Bachmann,they sent me a new one.  Haven't had any problems since.

Considering I only paid $79 for it, and about $4 for the shipping to Bachmann, I am very pleased with it. 

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

My EZ Command is running just fine It is great for running 2 or 3 trains by yourself and it is as close to plug and play as one could get. The only complaint that I have is the lack of power . In order to increase the power I scrapped the power supply that came with it ( 1 amp ) and replaced it with a Digitrax 3 amp power supply. I can now run 2 loco's with sound whereas before it ws only 1 loco with sound and 2 loco's without sound.I have thought of replacing it but I run my layout by myself so I do not need more than what I have. 8)

Naxos

Quote from: grumpy on February 06, 2008, 12:41:12 AM
My EZ Command is running just fine It is great for running 2 or 3 trains by yourself and it is as close to plug and play as one could get. The only complaint that I have is the lack of power . In order to increase the power I scrapped the power supply that came with it ( 1 amp ) and replaced it with a Digitrax 3 amp power supply. I can now run 2 loco's with sound whereas before it ws only 1 loco with sound and 2 loco's without sound.I have thought of replacing it but I run my layout by myself so I do not need more than what I have. 8)

I'll give Bachmann a call and return the DCC controller. From some feedback I have recieved it sounds like a reostat issue.

How long you been running with a 3 amp PS? Any problems?

rains train

Get a new one if you wish, but the better way to go is Digitrax. If your willing to pay a bit more, you'll be very happy you did.

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

Guilford Guy

If you wish too you can probably send it back to Bachmann in exchange for a new one. Digitraxx, Lenz, or another more advanced system will probably work better than your EZ Command. Before you make a big investment, I'd send the EZ Command to bachmann and see if the problem persists with the new one they send you. If so its probably a locomotive problem.
Alex

grumpy

Naxos
I have been running my EZCommand with the 3 amp  power supply for about 6 months with no problems.
Don

sour rails

I have had absolutely no problems with my EZ Command.  I don't have a layout, so it is just fine for me, setting it and running some trains for a few days and then take apart.  Now when I build nyself a layout, I will probably get an MRC prodigy DCC system.  From all the pictures I've seen of it, it looks easier to use than the Zepher.

Also, we tend to hear more negative feedback about things because people want to get it working again.  We don't hear about it working because no one is asking questions about it because it works.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

rains train

The basic usage (running a train...or a few) is extremely easy with the Zephyr, click loco, the loco's number, then the loco button again and you have that loco. Start running it and click loco again (Note: click loco while the other train is running) then type in the other loco's number and turn the speed control down for the other loco. (notice that that loco will not stop) then hit loco again and you have a second loco ready to go. It is very easy to use.

Alex

sour rails

With the EZ command, run your loco, while it is running, push a different loco number and you are ready to run a second loco.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

rains train

Sour, that is basicly what I just said in my dragged out explination. The Zephyr is very much better than the EZ command in my opinion. It runs more trains as well. Everyone I know thinks the same thing. Once again, that is just my opinion.

Alex

Jim Banner

<loco>
<1>
<2>
<3>
<4>
<loco>
I count that as six key strokes, vs. 1 for the E-Z Command.

Zephyr is better in some areas.
E-Z Command is better in others.

Alex, I am glad you like your Zephyr.  I really like mine too.  Almost as much as I like my DCS200 with radio throttles.  But I do not overlook the usefulness of the E-Z Command.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rains train

Type
loco
loco's number
loco

You have the loco.

Alex

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Funny thing about DCC......you can have it for years,  in my case,  about 6 years or so,  and still be learning.   To that extent,  let me offer something that you, Naxos,  need to check into.   I believe,  if your engine or engines are equipped with dual mode decoders,   one that offer the possibility of running with DC or DCC controls,  there is a CV,  control variable,  that needs to have a certain numerical valve set so that the engine/s will only respond to DCC.  This may help with your problem.   
      I suggest that you go to www.yahoogroups.com and join one of the DCC groups and then ask your questions there to help solve your problem.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

grumpy

Ifyou have a problem with your unit the best thing to do is to take it back to where you purchased it and have them return it to Bachman, or return it to Bachman yourself. Why fool with it Bachman has a great warranty .
Don ???