News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordan HO Set Transformer

Started by Len, February 06, 2008, 11:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

I picked up a Gordan HO passenger set, a couple of extra coaches, and some extra track for my grandson. He loved it, until he wanted to pull four cars like Gordan some times does in the videos.

Even with an extra feeder to the far side of the loop, the rinky-dink transformer that came in the set just didn't seem capable of getting the job done.

So I ran back to my LHS, picked up an MRC 1370 transformer on sale for $29.95 and hooked it up. What a difference in Gordan's performance. Plus there are accessory power outputs for building lights, switches, etc., when he's ready to expand some more.

Why can't Bachmann put a decent transformer in these sets to begin with? If nothing else, maybe do an OEM agreement with MRC to put 1300's or 1370's in the set the way Walther's Trainline does in theirs.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Shawmut Line Operation

Yes thats what I would like to know. >:(  How hard is it to do something that simple.  Just because little kids run them don't mean that adults don't. >:(
You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well,yeah,but the smaller transformers are somewhat easier for a kid to use,
due to the big,easily gripped components and the fact that a screwdriver,
which so many parents these days are too scared to let their kids use, ::)
isn't needed.
Bachmann DOES make normal stock transformers(They look like this only now they're black with red handles):

Maybe if you ordered a Thomas set over the phone you could get it with one
of those. :)

Guilford Guy

Sets are prepackaged. I am sure you can order a Spectrum Transformer to accompany the trains...

Quote from: FPTP-Man on February 06, 2008, 07:06:02 PM
Yes thats what I would like to know. >:(  How hard is it to do something that simple.  Just because little kids run them don't mean that adults don't. >:(
While adults may run them for the joy of the kids and other reasons- most adults have permanent layouts and do not use the small train set powerpacks... and most adults have been collecting for years and probably have several good powerpacks... Its illogical for Bachmann to risk sales by raising the price just so a child can run 4 cars. With the age the models are aimed at, kids can easily lose interest in a subject which would leave the parents with a waste of money. In conclusion, maybe in the manual's and dvd's that come with the sets they should suggest the use of a Spectrum transformer in the future if one wishes to pull many cars. At the club we have a Thomas model with DCC, and kids are far more concerned watching him speed along under their control, rather than how many cars he can pull, which is the general consensus for the age group.
Alex

Len

GG,

You said, "...kids are far more concerned watching him speed along under their control, rather than how many cars he can pull, which is the general consensus for the age group."

I wasn't dealing with an "age group", but a 7 year old grandson who is VERY familiar with the Thomas videos. In particular that Gordan is often seen pulling 3 or 4 coaches, not just the 2 that come in the set, in the videos. He specifically requested the extra coaches (and track) when we were at the LHS purchasing the set.

You also say,

"Its illogical for Bachmann to risk sales by raising the price just so a child can run 4 cars."

If my LHS can sell an MRC 1370 with an MSRP of $39.98 for $29.95 and make money, how much is it really going to cost Bachmann to include one at OEM prices? I'd be glad to have paid an extra $2 - $3 dollars for the set to have included a decent transformer to have avoided the hassle to a second trip to the LHS.

You need to rething this statement, "In conclusion, maybe in the manual's and dvd's that come with the sets they should suggest the use of a Spectrum transformer in the future if one wishes to pull many cars."

The Gordan locomotive can easily handle more than 2 cars with a decent power supply, the Thomas videos often show Gordan pulling more than 2 cars, Bachmann sells add on coaches seperately and should expect people are going to add them to the Gordan set, and that those people are going to expect the transformer in the set to be capable of fully utilizing Gordan's capabilities. Finding out AFTER purchasing the set and getting it home that you'll need a better transformer is what will annoy the customers (like me).

Len

P.S. For Zelda: My grandson doesn't have to use a screw driver. I attached the power lead lugs to the transformer for him. All he has to do is plug/unplug the connector from the track.

Shawmut Line Operation

I do remember once seeing Gordon pull 5 coaches. :-\
You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

The Chaz Storm

He did in "Edward, Gordon, and Henry", he pulled three composite coaches and two brake coaches.

Rail-Runner192

I have 2 tracks running in my room. I use a Bachmann transformer that I got in the percy set. My other is a Hornby transformer that doesnt put out as much power as the Bachmann one. But my suggestion for more coaches or freight, Take the metal weights out of them. thats what i did.
Ready for New Items!!

Shawmut Line Operation

Uh dude they put em metal weights in there for a reason. >:(

Rail-Runner192

I know that im just saying it helps. ::)
Ready for New Items!!

Shawmut Line Operation

ok.  Oh BTW little hint.  If you want to use the roll eyes put in this...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/Smileys/default/rolleyes.gif

Then after that put the IMG things around it. ;)  The finished thing should look like this.

Guilford Guy

The weights are only really needed when operating at mach 1, or on a long train... On club layouts, (we run American stuff) there are sometimes rolling stock weight rules. I believe its 1 ounce, and an additional 1/4 ounce per inch. Something like that. The key to running long trains is weight....
Alex

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well,here's another thing:Your particular set might have had a defective
power pack.After all,my Bachmann Henry hauled a goods train that included a
heavy track-cleaner car while being run with my kiddy power pack.Hmm.
By the way,I wonder if you plan to eventually increase it to its length in the
books,a full 15 coaches.I know I plan to. 8)

the Bach-man

Dear Len,
On the Sodor display we have both Gordon and Henry pulling four car trains for eight to ten hours a day using the stock power pack. You may have a bad power pack, which we will replace.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Len

Bach-man,

Appreciate the offer, but I've already replaced it with an MRC 1370. If my Grandson stays with it enough to justify the space for a table, we'll use the original transformer for low load accessories.

Thanks,
Len