Company housing....my latest build.

Started by WoundedBear, February 06, 2008, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Here's a fresh one to my layout. This is the City Classics Company House.

These are available singly or in a three pack. The rear porch can be attached to the rear or the sides, or left off totally. This is an early attempt at coloring structures with weathering powders. Other than a light dusting of gray primer, the majority of this is powder.

I masked all the windows and doors first, then had at it. The foundation is painted with cheapo craft acrylics and the roof is a dusting of black/grey primer with powders apllied over top. Everything is, of course, locked in place with a final coat of Testor's flat laquer.

I build on a thin piece of foam board....I find it gives me something to hang on to while building......and when it's done, I'll set the whole piece onto the layout and blend it in with some foam at the edges.

It seemed like a perfect place for the WS checker player set I received for Christmas. Add a tree and a few boxes....a shovel and a broom and voila!

Enjoy! Click the links above each shot for the full sized image.

Sid
http://members.shaw.ca/woundedbear2k/Companyhouse01.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/woundedbear2k/Companyhouse02.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/woundedbear2k/Companyhouse03.jpg

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

I like.  I've done them, too.  A nice kit if a bit overpriced, IMHO.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

Thanks gents.

Gene....I hear ya on the price thing.....they work out to around 18 a pop by the time they get up here to the LHS.

They're such a perfect fit for my layout though, that I really don't mind the extra few bucks over say, the Grandt Line set of 3 houses.

Sid

prebres

I have two of those kits. They are $9 each at my LHS.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

I like the outhouse too.

I haven't seen these in the Walther's catalog, can you provide a source?  They have good bashing possibilities.  I'm having a problem finding suitable buildings, and I hate to start from scratch.  The windows and doors would almost be worth the price.

You mentioned they are "kits", but this sometimes means prebuilt with some pieces to add.  Are these styrene, and totally unassembled? Prepainted or not?

As an aside, I've been looking for a large ranch house.  I live on a ranch, and I wouldn't live in a house like the ones being offered.  So many structures look like toys.

Your houses look very realistic, nice job.  I added your pictures to my structures file for reference. .

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Now that is a really nice job.

Probably ask about Can$300,000, or more,  here in Victoria for a house like that.

SteamGene

Yampa Bob,
Try City Classics company houses.  They are kits.  They come in one or three house kits with details on original or as bought by resident.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Thanks Gene
I finally found it in the Walther's catalog, lised under City Classics.  I agree a bit pricey, at $18 a pop.  My favorite discount source doesn't carry them, other sites are out of stock with no expected delivery date. 

Not much info on them, are they wood or styrene?  I would prefer wood that I can stain or paint. 

I'm ready to add buildings to my layout, and can't find a single thing I can use.  I spent many years as a Class A contractor,  and I can say the manufacturers haven't a clue about what a building should look like.  I'ts pretty frustrating.   I don't mind bashing, but at least need something to start with.

I'm really looking for early and modern log houses for a ranch, found one site that will build custom but at $500 each.  The lap siding of the company houses will work if I stained it to look like real wood.   After all I don't live in a plastic house, although we do have mostly metal roofs (Pro Panel) for all the snow. 

Yampa Bob

grumpy

Try Micro-Mark .They list them in their catalogue  and appear to  be in stock. Price is $18.98
Don :)

prebres

My LHS is Custom Hobbies, in Wintersville, Ohio. They have the City Classics Company House individiual kits and the City Classics Mobile Home kits for $9.

brad

Yampa Bob,

Try Sylvan models, They make a range of log houses and buildings, although of an older "homestead" prototype.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

SteamGene

City Classics company houses are all syrene.  I seem to have made several purchases of company houses.  I keep finding more unmade kits, both City Classics and some laser cut wood ones.  I'll see if I can get the name of the wood ones. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Thanks Gene
I know I'm being fussy about the buildings, but I want them to look very realistic.  Mention "ranch houses" and people think of the look alikes in cities.  I'm thinking more of a "great house" like on the Ponderosa in Bonanza.

We don't have attached garages here, because most of the garages are actually huge barns used not only for vehicles but for equipment as well.  I don't recall the Cartwrights having the stable attached to the house. 

We think our ranch theme is a very unique idea.  Most layouts have a lot of industries crammed into them.  We want wide open spaces, with a singular theme.  I should probably start a fresh post, I'm kinda hogging Sid's space, or add these comments on my other post. 

If I could find a really good price on the company houses, I think I could chop them up and make some things.  I'm about to give up on the log idea.  I wish someone would make an HO version of the old wooden Lincoln Logs.  My dad bought 20 huge boxes of them at a farm auction and I played with them for years.

Bob