Main Menu

Kitbashed Structure Pics

Started by Paul M., February 07, 2008, 06:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

My first kitbashed structure.

Note The Bricked-Over loading doors.

What do you think?

BTW, At Bob's suggestion, I'm going to re-paint the roof of the Freight House.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

engineerkyle

Paul M.

I fixed it Kyle. I put the wrong links in at first  :D

-Paul
[

Guilford Guy

It showed up when I reopened the link. Nice job, my only criticism is the loading dock is at a bit of an angle but its a really good model for your first time!
Alex

engineerkyle

I think it looks really good. I like 'em big like that, too!

rogertra

Really nice job.  Good sized building that looks as though it would be served by rail.

Couple of points.  Not critisims but suggestions.

Some roof details would be really welcome.  Vents for example and roof access hatches or doors.  Fire breaks dividing the building into four sections or perhaps, dividing the building into two sections?

I question the three doors per loading bay?  It just seems a rather long span for the load bearing header over the doorways.  I'd suggest one central door in each bay flanked by bricks walls.

Finally, some blanked off windows, perhaps a few window vents and pipework on the walls?

Again, good first job and the above are just suggestions to make a good model into a great model.

Well done.

SteamGene

What Roger said.  And viewblocks inside.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Paul,

Just to clarify what I said about the roof.   I suggested that you consider using bass wood in place of balsa wood,  not to repaint.   And again......I think you did a GREAT job,  first time out.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

TonyD

There is a prototype for everything, especially Walther's new line. The roof, interior have no firewalls, just between this section and the hotel and interlocking tower-  the line of roll up doors, the long varanda, is all easy to see today, Union Station Springfield, Mass, made in 1920's...the north side of the complex was the RPO & express tracks, and that is what this kit was? Walthers calls it an express building flat? It was/is about this big, long, tall, this many doors, I will try to find a pic. But, like GG said, the beveled edge of the dock...can you put a 90 degree edge on it? If it isn't dark in there when you put it in place, glue in some dark cardbard floors to break up the brightness, yeah, a flat roof tends to look the color of the rock spread there as the roof was laid, classic example where they get the word 'weathered'...really impressive job!!! I guess my Mickey Mouse Union station RPO will have to get replaced by one like yours..... 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Paul M.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

GG, I think when I install it in my layout I'll have some shrubs around the base of the dock, so its angle is less noticeable.

Roger,
I have bought pipe to make drainage pipes for the building. I will detail the roof with the skylights and fire wall enclosed in the kit, and will probably add some other details to the roof.

Gene,
I'll try to make some diagonal view-blocks out of painted paper board like Model Railroader described some time ago.

Bob,
I understand what you mean. Next time I try doing something like this, I'll use basswood. I think painting the roof better will make the balsa look OK, though. At least I'll try.

Tony- Is this what you were talking about?

Thanks to all who posted, again, I'll post some more pics when I get finished detailing the freight house.

-Paul
[

rogertra

"Roger,
I have bought pipe to make drainage pipes for the building. I will detail the roof with the skylights and fire wall enclosed in the kit, and will probably add some other details to the roof."

A cheap trick that works well is to use the plastic sprues, that all or most plastic kits some with, as pipework.  They have elbows, curves, tees as well as using the plain straights as piping.  You can also use it for roof top vent pipes.  I just drill or ream out the end a little so that it looks like a pipe.   Works really well and, as I wrote above, is cheap.  :)

You can use plastic sheet to make hatches by layering a retangle, about 6 scale feet by three over a slightly smaller piece and laminate the two together.  Looks like a hatchway onto the roof.  There are many tricks that you can use that are cheap and effective.  Be creative.

Once again, good job.

TonyD

Oh my gosh, that is the card my mom never got when I was on leave from the boer war.....did I forget to put a samp on it? 1cent? The opposite side, far right, 3 stories up. SOMEONE around there has the $125 million the feds gave the city to restore it into a transport hub.... i dunno, but lotsa people who waz in politics is now in da Federal pen... anyway, the interlocking tower is, above the middle of your express section-, not good, the tower roof disappeared as the price of copper went up... must be all getting wet in there...not good at all... I am doubly impressed!! my 'subsistute for now' scene came down a couple hours ago because of this....how many kits was that? 2? I'll have to order some manyana I guess.... doin' good, keep going....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

I'm assuming this is going against a wall, or it will be impossible to see the lack of a rear wall.  It does look like there is some roof sag which can be removed with some support in the rear.  How about the rear wall above the roof?
Again, nice job.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Quote from: TonyD on February 08, 2008, 10:43:43 PM
Oh my gosh, that is the card my mom never got when I was on leave from the boer war.....did I forget to put a samp on it? 1cent? The opposite side, far right, 3 stories up. SOMEONE around there has the $125 million the feds gave the city to restore it into a transport hub.... i dunno, but lotsa people who waz in politics is now in da Federal pen... anyway, the interlocking tower is, above the middle of your express section-, not good, the tower roof disappeared as the price of copper went up... must be all getting wet in there...not good at all... I am doubly impressed!! my 'subsistute for now' scene came down a couple hours ago because of this....how many kits was that? 2? I'll have to order some manyana I guess.... doin' good, keep going....

One kit, the back wall was omitted and added to the front because it won't be seen from the positioning of the layout.

Gene, for the pics, the roof was just propped in place because I hadn't glued it in yet.

-Paul
[

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat