News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Third 2-8-0 Spectrum a charm?........So far

Started by James Hail, February 07, 2008, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Hail

I just opened my third DCC Equip. 2-8-0 Spectrum...After a complete lube (screeching bearings on worm shaft outa the box same as #2) and setting address shes
running good so far with 2 hour break-in.And CV 2 (start volts) set to 31(max)and running in 28 step.

Had loose crank arm (?) screws....all three had this.....were the nubbins index the crank arm ,the crank sat crooked and screw was loose.

Wheel clack is gone with this one......and the wheels seem truer on the axles....

So far its a keeper.......

Thanks for everyones suggestion to return to dealer........2 weeks later i have a runner.

Jim Hail
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

PatMatDec

I have sent one 2-8-0 back and just received the new one today. The engine makes the same screach as the one I sent back. What can I do to stop the squeal.? I had to wait 5 weeks for the last replacement.I use mine without DCC and have to put dummy pins in the decoder.  ???
CEO
Nantasket Beach Railroad

James Hail

If its a screeching type shrill sound its the bushings on the worm shaft.mine did this and left brass dust in the casings causing me to return it.

Loco has to be tore down to reach them with lube.

Use a thick oil or grease on the brass rings on each side of the worm gear shaft.

Its a bit of a chore but it needs done or you will shred the bushings into dust.
Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

Yampa Bob

Jim
Thanks for the tip.  I will add "shrill brassy squeal" to my log book of Connie noises. Did you detect any brass shavings on the bottom before you took it apart?  Someone mentioned the lack of thrust washers on the worm gear shaft.

I use a silicone lube,  non-petroleum based.  Just a very light film seems to adhere well and is very slippery.  It came in small packets with solar water pumps that have bronze and delrin gearing.  The factory won't disclose their source but I'm still looking.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Another possible source of the high pitched squeal is the axle wipers under the tender.  A drop of light weight conductive lube at all four contact points will clear this up quickly if this is the source of your squeal.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.