News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Code 100 vs Code 83

Started by Beatthe9ers, February 08, 2008, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

Tony - the Latin translates to "when it comes to taste there is no disputing" meaning that if you like code 100 rail then use it. The new Bachmann EZ track makes laying track a dream. I started with Atlas code 100 fiber tie flex track. It didn't look all that real and the ties were affect by humidity.

I personally used to like handlaying track - I found it theraputic.

Clear Block

Well the sub roadbed is homesote (*) with the track nailed to it, no glue used.
This was a family friends layout and he asked for help  but it's beyond me that the flex track keeps flexing. I have some flex track on my personal layout and for 6 years not never had a problem on it.

TonyD

Clear block, just like the 12 inch to the foot stuff, if temp changes are extreme, you need gaps in the rail, even if only the places that bind up, doesn't take much, but if it is all glued down, etc etc, it won't be easy, a saw blade on a dremel is great, but the rail joiners... might be a choir... yes Woody, I think of Nevil Chamberlain and GB 1 when people use latin in hostile orations...this was going off on a 'degree style tangent'? ... My friend's dad hand laid track before they invented flex track. On routered out curved and straight pine boards? He had a theory-" don't bother with scenery, it distracts people from the trains!" And my layout is built along the same idea, except for the buildings or scenes I want to draw attention to, simple dark scenery, plain track, pay attention to the trains... and alot of my collection is old AHM, or British, and I 'need' the code 100, 'cause I am not going to replace millions of wheels... and my layout isn't 100% North American anyway, so it suits me.... I had no problem with fiber tie brass, my old stuff is still in 'secondary' use, and I wish I had more.... I spend just as much time cleaning NS....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler