News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z command & Big Hauler 4-6-0

Started by hjmurray, February 08, 2008, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjmurray

Is it possible to use a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC system with a Big Hauler 4-6-0? I searched this topic but nothing came up.

I have 2 4-6-0 locomotives on an indoor track I am building. (I understand the issues of using a DCC system on outdoor track.) I also believe the Bachmann decoders may not handle the amp draw of a Big Hauler so a 2 amp decoder is probably required.

I am wondering if the E-Z Command controller and power supply can handle 2 Big Haulers? I only have 8 cars for both locos. But of course these things tend to grow.

Nathan

You may want to look at some decoders designed for large scale.  A number of manufactures have them.  You will need to consider the booster for the sysstem.

I use my DCC system out doors at our club layout.  If the track will run good with DC it will run good with DCC.

Nathan

Tom Lapointe

Contrary to what you may have heard, DCC can be used outdoors! ;)  (I've been running DCC on my garden line for 3 years now!). ;D  Only cautions are you MUST use either brass or stainless-steel track, NOT Bachmann steel track! :o  I keep all the DCC control electronics (Power transformer, control station, 10-amp booster, wired throttle, & receiver for wireless throttle) in a large plastic file tote, just bring it out & connect the track feed to the railroad to it & AC power (through a ground-fault interrupter protected AC outlet) when I want to run.  My system is an NCE "PowerHouse Pro" 10-amp system; but I'm running much larger engines than "Annies" as well (2 - & 3-truck Shays, Heisler, Climax, "Connie", etc).

I'm using a Digitrax DG583S decoder in my "Annie"; since the "Annie" is a relatively light, single-motored loco, the DG583S handles it easily (I also use them in the twin-motored locos such as the Shays). 8)

For an indoor layout running just 2 Annies, EZ Command should work as long as you use the 5-Amp booster. :)                                        Tom

hjmurray

Thank you for the guidance and suggestions.